Creating an Automatic Cash Draw Calculator

THouldin

I am brainstorming how to create an excel 2007 sheet that can calculate the optimum combination of change and cash for a cash drawer at a business' closing time. The excel sheet would allow the user to input the total amount of pennies, dimes, ones, twenties, etc. and excel would determine how to leave $400 in the drawer with the smallest denominations possible. For example if an employee ended the day with $945.45 in his or her till (aka drawer), this hypothetical excel sheet would remove $545.45 using as many $100’s, 50’s, 20’s, and quarters as possible and leaving denominations like pennies, 1’s, and 5’s.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Does anyone where I would start for a project like this? Are there customizable add-ons that I could use to create this optimum cash drawer calculator? Would I have to use VBA? Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Let me know if you find something I am working on something similar. I start and end with 150.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0eyjedi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back