Creating a Table Based On Two Records And Corresponding Field Values

tfixnicholas

I am a beginner at Access, can understand some basic VBA and I have a very tricky problem ahead of me.

I have one table with many records and many fields. For simplicity, here's a mini version.

Building NameSystem1System2System3System4
BLD1System1ASystem2CSystem 3FSystem4A
BLD2System1BSystem2BSystem 3CSystem4A
BLD3System1ASystem 2ASystem 3CSystem4C

<tbody>
</tbody>

In my real table there is about 1000 records and 25 Systems (fields)

I have a form with two subforms, each subform allows me to select one record from the table.

Let's say I selected BLD1 and Bld3, I want to create a button that will take the two selected records and create a table similar to the one below.

SystemBld1Bld3
System1System1ASystem1A
System2System2CSystem 2A
System3System 3FSystem 3C
System4System4ASystem4C

<tbody>
</tbody>

(The actual end result would have about 25 records, one for each system.

What is the best way to go about accomplishing this?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
You might have to do it in two parts and it will be a lot of work because what you're trying to do is TRANSPOSE columns into rows. To go the other way, we have the built in cross tab query. What you want to do will require a UNION query. To transpose columns to rows:
Code:
SELECT System1 AS Bld1 FROM TableName WHERE System1 Is Not Null AND [Building Name] = "BLD1" 
UNION ALL
SELECT System2 AS Bld1 FROM TableName WHERE System2 Is Not Null AND [Building Name] = "BLD1" 
UNION ALL
SELECT System3 AS Bld1 FROM TableName WHERE System3 Is Not Null AND [Building Name] = "BLD1" 
UNION ALL
SELECT System4 AS Bld1 FROM TableName WHERE System4 Is Not Null AND [Building Name] = "BLD1" 
repeat for Bld3.
However, you add complexity because you want table field names to become data in the System field - I've never seen it done nor asked about. So you may have to use the union query as a source for a make table, select or append query (you do not say where you want your results to go first). This other query can create a field with SELECT "System1" AS System and you will get a field called System with a value of System1 in the records along with the data from the other query. However, you don't want System1 in every row, so you can use SELECT "" AS System; to get blanks and use an update query after.

The only other option I can suggest (which would be the easiest if it works) is to write
Code:
SELECT "System1" AS System, [COLOR=#ff0000][B]System1[/B][/COLOR] AS Bld1 FROM TableName WHERE System1 Is Not Null AND [Building Name] = "BLD1"
and change "System1" to match each system number where red above. I'm just not sure how Access will handle the duplicate reference to System1, but maybe it'll be OK because the quotes make it an alias. I'm thinking you might get a "Duplicate" type of error. Note that you must use quotes around the created field name. If you try this, I think I'd do as in the first example to get that part working first, only then adding another level of complexity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just an FYI...

The structure of your data table actually goes against the rules of normalization, and would not be considered good database design. You should not have repeating system fields, but rather a structure like this:

Fields
Building Name
System Number
System Value

So then your table would look something like:

Code:
[B]Building Name     System Number      System Value
[/B]BLD1                1                 SystemA1
BLD1                2                 System2C
BLD1                3                 System3F
BLD1                4                 System4A
BLD2                1                 System1B
You should be able to get from there to the structure you showed originally via a Cross-Tab Query.

Having a good structure allows you more flexibility to do things more easily. A good example of an issue with your original structure is the following:
You said that you have 25 different System fields. What if someone came to you and asked you to return all records for anyone using "System4A"? In your query, you would need to search 25 different fields (what a nightmare)! In the normalized structure I presented, you only have to search one.

For more information on Database Design and Rules of Normalization, see the following article: http://sbuweb.tcu.edu/bjones/20263/Access/AC101_FundamentalsDB_Design.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnkundalia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back