Creating a Legend using OLE to reference to another sheet in a workbook

Pixelman

I need to add a legend to several pages of a workbook. I'd like to have all the legends linked to a common source so it can be edited in one place. I want to be able to reposition the legend on the page to move it out of the way or delete it if the user doesn't want it.

I found that if I Insert an Object and Create From File as a Link and choose an Excel spreadsheet I get something pretty close to what I want. But I don't want my users to have to keep track of a seperate file just for the legend so why not point to a different tab on the current spreadsheet? I just can't seem to work out a syntax to do this.

If I click on my linked object I see the formula: =Excel.Sheet.12|'C:\DATA\USERS\Pixelman\Legend.xlsx'!''''

I can simplify the path to =Excel.Sheet.12|Legend.xlsx!'''' and the link will still work; that is I can double click on the inserted region and edit the sheet.

If I try to specify a sheet like so, =Excel.Sheet.12|[Legend.xlsx]Sheet2!'''' Excel does not complain about syntax but the link no longer works.

I can edit the reference to point to the current workbook and that will work but it will show a default sheet and I need it to show a particular sheet. It can also get balled up in a circular reference and crash in a horrible way but that's to be expected.

I'm using Excel 2007 and my solution needs to be compatible with this version.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back