Creating a excel sheet from part of another, save and repeat

Andyg666

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel sheet and I need to copy certain cells (not all the cells in the file) across into another workbook and then save the new workbook into a folder with the filename being a combination of the cells we copied across.

I have attached an image of the two files and I have manually filled in the detail as an example of the final sheet (Plant ID, ID and Location)
This then needs to save as filename 14 ??? - Gravity valve.

there are hundreds of these i need to format so I hope to automate this.

Thanks,
Andy
Data.jpg
equipment example.jpg

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
My proposition is to prepare a template sheet with all needed formatting and extra texts (like DCV legend and so on).
So the workbook has 2 sheets: Tasks and Template
for each row in tasks:
- create a copy of template sheet
- write (not copy, to keep template formatting) data from specific cells (note reference to Tasks cells with dot at the beginning)
- (optional) change name of the sheet forom "Template"
- save file with name based on columns A and D - note that question marks are not allowed in a filesystem in names, so they hae to be substituted with some other characters
- close the new file

VBA Code:
Sub FillTemplateAndSaveForAll()
Dim lastrow As Long, i As Long, temparr As Variant, nameforsaveas As String
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With Sheets("Tasks") ' this is the only place we refer to source sheetname - you can change it here to fit your workbook
  .Activate
  lastrow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  For i = 2 To lastrow
    Sheets("Template").Copy 'it is now a new, one worksheet workbook
    Range("C3").Value = .Range("A" & i).Value 'contents of C3 in new file is taken from cell Tasks!A2
    Range("G3").Value = .Range("D" & i).Value 'ID is copied (value only) from B2 (and next rows)
    ' if other single cells a re to be copied do it the same way
    If InStr(.Range("C" & i).Value, vbLf) > 0 Then 'column C contains (seems to) names with new line added by Alt+Enter, so if that's true
      temparr = Split(.Range("C" & i), vbLf)
      Range("C4").Resize(UBound(temparr) + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(temparr) 'write splitted in separate lines
    Else
      Range("C4").Value = .Range("C" & i).Value ' if write whole contents of C in one cell - it is the same way as ID, Plant Etc
    End If
    ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" ' restore standard sheet name, you can use also "Inspection" or "Inspection of ID " & Range("G3").Value
    nameforsaveas = Replace(Range("G3").Value & " " & Range("C3").Value, "?", "_") ' question marks are not alloved in filename
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Users\Kaper\Tests\" & nameforsaveas & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook 'of course change the file path
    DoEvents 'Just in case of slow saving, etc.
    ActiveWorkbook.Close False
    DoEvents
  Next i
End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back