Create Folder Using VBA

CainyUK

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with this "Run-time error '76': Path not found" problem that im getting

I have a sharepoint directly mapped to my C drive, and im using this code to try and create a folder in said directory but when running im getting an error

my foldername required is in the string strDirname which is housed in the sheet in cell a1

VBA Code:
Sub CreateSharePointDirectory()
    Dim folderPath As String
    Dim ans As String
    Dim userName As String
    Dim strDirname As String

strDirname = Sheets("Customer Profile").Range("a1")

userName = Replace(Application.userName, " ", ".")

folderPath = "C:\Users\" & userName & "\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2"
    If Dir(folderPath, vbDirectory) = vbNullString Then
        ans = MsgBox("Folder does not exist. Create?", vbYesNo)
        If ans = vbYes Then
            MkDir folderPath & strDirname
        Else
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End If
End Sub

i dont know if the error is due to the way its grabbing the username however my username on windows is just my first name , all lower case no spaces

my error is coming up at this part MkDir folderPath & strDirname

im sure its something simple, but i cant figure it out

thanks in advance for any help offered

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with this "Run-time error '76': Path not found" problem that im getting

I have a sharepoint directly mapped to my C drive, and im using this code to try and create a folder in said directory but when running im getting an error

my foldername required is in the string strDirname which is housed in the sheet in cell a1

VBA Code:
Sub CreateSharePointDirectory()
    Dim folderPath As String
    Dim ans As String
    Dim userName As String
    Dim strDirname As String

strDirname = Sheets("Customer Profile").Range("a1")

userName = Replace(Application.userName, " ", ".")

folderPath = "C:\Users\" & userName & "\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2"
    If Dir(folderPath, vbDirectory) = vbNullString Then
        ans = MsgBox("Folder does not exist. Create?", vbYesNo)
        If ans = vbYes Then
            MkDir folderPath & strDirname
        Else
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End If
End Sub

i dont know if the error is due to the way its grabbing the username however my username on windows is just my first name , all lower case no spaces

my error is coming up at this part MkDir folderPath & strDirname

im sure its something simple, but i cant figure it out

thanks in advance for any help offered
Does the folder "C:\Users\" & userName & "\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2" actually exist?

What is the value in cell a1?

Try a "\" at the end of folderPath.

Upvote 0
Does the folder "C:\Users\" & userName & "\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2" actually exist?

What is the value in cell a1?

Try a "\" at the end of folderPath.
Hi ,

The folders do exist - ive copied the actual file path and replaced the company sensitive info with dummy info above

Cell a1 is just text for the name of the folder i want creating

Tried a "\" at the end of folder path too and still getting the same errorr :/

Upvote 0
found the issue - it was using my microsoft account username in the filepath and not my computer username - Solved

Upvote 0
found the issue - it was using my microsoft account username in the filepath and not my computer username - Solved
Application.userName normally returns the current user name in Windows. Does it return your Microsoft account username?
Are you using user name as text now, i.e. "C:\Users\smozgur\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2"?

Upvote 0
Application.userName normally returns the current user name in Windows. Does it return your Microsoft account username?
Are you using user name as text now, i.e. "C:\Users\smozgur\CompanyName\CompanyDocsFolder\Subfolder1\SubFolder2"?
Yeah so it was pulling through my office365 username so ‘firstname.surname’ . But the file path needed to be my local pc username which is ‘firstname’ . So i used the environment function to pull the pc username and that worked

Upvote 0
Yeah so it was pulling through my office365 username so ‘firstname.surname’ . But the file path needed to be my local pc username which is ‘firstname’ . So i used the environment function to pull the pc username and that worked
Interesting. It is not working like that in my Windows computer. Perhaps something related to SharePoint. That's why I wanted to make sure. Thanks for clarifying.

In the meantime, "Solved" is not an actual solution to be marked, so I removed the solution mark from your post. Can you please send the code that you used to get the environment variable instead of userName = Replace(Application.userName, " ", ".") line, then you can mark that post as the solution to help the future readers?

Upvote 0
Interesting. It is not working like that in my Windows computer. Perhaps something related to SharePoint. That's why I wanted to make sure. Thanks for clarifying.

In the meantime, "Solved" is not an actual solution to be marked, so I removed the solution mark from your post. Can you please send the code that you used to get the environment variable instead of userName = Replace(Application.userName, " ", ".") line, then you can mark that post as the solution to help the future readers?
Will do when i get home on the computer 👍

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back