Create a summary sheet using a range of criteria

bettyboo

Hi,

I am working with Excel 2010 and need to create a summary sheet that returns data from the other tabs in the worksheet based on certain criteria.

The spread sheet I am working on has a separate tab for each holiday package that we sell. Each tab has a table that details (amongst other things) the cost of the holiday, the number of nights and board basis according to a date band of travel (see below for an example).

Tab 1
*ABCDE
1Holiday 1****
2Travel FromTravel ToSelling Price PPNo of NtsBoard Basis
327-Apr-1309-May-13£1,1453BB
410-May-1331-May-13£1,0413HB
501-Jun-1315-Jul-13£8643BB

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Tab 2
*ABCDE
1Holiday 2****
330-Apr-1308-Jul-13£9013HB
416-Jul-1307-Aug-13£1,2163BB
500-Jan-0000-Jan-00£0**

<tbody>
</tbody>

Tab 3
*ABCDE
1Holiday 3****
330-Apr-1315-May-13£9013HB
416-May-1330-May-13£8503HB
501-Jun-1317-Jun-13£7163BB
618-Jun-1330-Jun-13£8673HB

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want to be able to create a summary sheet that looks at a date range (e.g. 01 May to 30 June) and goes to each tab and finds the cheapest selling price within the specified date band. There may be several date bands that fit but it needs to only return the data for the cheapest selling price. I also want to return the associated information (number of nights and board basis). This is how the summary should look using the examples provided above for a search based on 01 May to 30 June.

*ABCDEF
1Summary*****
2*FromTo***
3Date Range01-May-1330-Jun-13<--- Input Date Range**
4Results:*****
5HolidayTravel FromTravel ToSelling Price PPNo of NtsBoard Basis
6Holiday 101-Jun-1315-Jul-13£8643BB
7Holiday 230-Apr-1308-Jul-13£9013HB
8Holiday 301-Jun-1317-Jun-13£7163BB

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have tried using an array formula with vlookup and match but it doesn’t always work and so I think it might need something more complex.

Other points to consider:
1. I want to be able to amend the date range criteria at any point and for the summary sheet to then update.
2. If there isn’t a date band on the tab that fits exactly within the date range criteria, it needs to return the cheapest price for a date band that partly fits the date range criteria (see “Holiday 1” as an example).
3. Similarly, if the date range on the tab is larger than the specified date range it must also recognise and return this (see “Holiday 2” as an example).
4. Sometimes, there may be more than one row with the same selling price and so ideally, it would return the earliest (chronologically) date band but somehow flag that other dates are available at this price. It doesn't need to return the other date bands - I would go and find these manually.
5. It should ignore any rows with £0 as the price or 00-Jan-00 as the date.
(6. The tables on the tabs are actually the end result of other formulas which, for simplicity, I have not included on this example.)

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to work on this for ages but to no avail.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back