Counting the number of times a series occurs between a pattern of other cell values

spill-the-beans

Board Regular
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to count the occurrence of a specific series relative to other cell values. . .

My dataset has two relevant columns, G and H. The data are 1s and 0s. If G=1 then H=0 and vice versa. Alternatively, both G and H can = 0 at the same time.

What I would like to be able to do is count the number of double 0s after the first time G=1 and H=0, but before the first time G=0 and H=1.

so, the cells to count are in red below. Note that the answer should be 3 (the number of times a 0 occurs in both columns at the same time), not 6 (the number of double 0s between the criteria). Also, the very last double 0 row should not be in the count, because H has been 1 before the occurrence of that double 0.

G
H

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you :)

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi,

Perhaps try:

Code:
=COUNTIF(
     INDEX(G1:G8, MATCH(1, G1:G8, 0) + 1) :
     INDEX(G1:G8, MATCH(1, H1:H8, 0) - 1),
   0)

Upvote 0
Yes, that works, but in column C I have a number that tells me when I need to start the count again. So in the example, every cell in column C would have been 1. While the number is still 1, that determines the range of cells to look for the first double 0.

But when the number in column C changes to 2 for ~200 cells, and then changes to 3 for ~200 cells (and so on), the count needs to begin again.

Is there a way of including that in the formula?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back