Counting Dates

abbigale

I am rather a newbie in Access and any help would be greatly appreciated. I import a weekly aged trial balance report, add a comment field and follow up date field. I would like to know as I input a follow up date, how many accounts that I have dated for that particular day so I can limit my follow up calls to no more than 20 calls on any given day. I don't necessarily want a restriction, I just want to see a running total. Is there a formula that I can use that would count each day as it is entered? Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi abbigale,

you can do this by creating a new query, add the table that you are using, Click Query -> View Totals, add the "date" field to the query, add the account name, under the date make sure it says "Group By", sort it in ascending (or descending) order and under the account name make sure "Group By" is changed to "Count".

Save and run the query - this will provide a count by day. You may also want to put in some criteria under the date if you have a long list that includes old data, e.g. set the criteria to >=Now() if you want.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. However, I would rather not run two separate queries and see the totals after the fact. I would like to see the number of calls caculated in a separate column in the query that I am using at the time, as the dates are input. Would there be a formula that I could insert that would actually count each date as it is input into the follow up date fields? Again.. thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I would rather not run two separate queries and see the totals after the fact. I would like to see the number of calls caculated in a separate column in the query that I am using at the time, as the dates are input.

How are you entering the dates? Are you entering them when viewing the data in a query? Or are you using a form based on a query?

I don't think you can have the detailed records and the count function in the same query (someone please correct me if I am wrong) given one requires a "group by" function. However, someone more familiar with coding may be able to write something that can do this for you on a form.

Upvote 0
I am entering the dates in a query. The query is based on information from two different tables. Forms are not used. That is why I was wondering if there was a formula that could be used.

Upvote 0
Hi
I would very strongly suggest that you start using forms for entering data. That is what they are for, query datasheet views are not designed for this purpose.
However, check out the access help files on domain aggregate funtions, the one you would want to look at would be the DCOUNT function
to count the number of records in MyTable on a field called MyField where the date was yesterday:
=DCOUNT("[MyField]","MyTable","[DateField] > " Date()-1)
However if you use a system of forms and subforms, this would be easier to manage.

HTH
Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samwalrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back