Countifs function value changes?!

JToulson

Hi,

I've been battling with this for some weeks now and everytime I seem to have solved it, I find it comes back x weeks later. Scenario:

I have a list of 8760 values (the number of hours in a year) which vary from around -9 to +32. However these values are dependent on other things in the workbook (namely a dropdown which causes this list of numbers to change respectively), so when trying to create a Histogram-type table, with frequency of each value, I cannot use the Excel 2013 Analysis Toolkit Add-in and just hit 'Histogram', as it creates a static, non-automated table.

The lowest and highest possible values are -15 and +40 respectively. I have a column of integers, from -15 to 40 (ie, 56 rows) and, in the next column, the following formula:

Code:
=COUNTIFS('Edited data'!$G$9:$G$8768,">=" &U9, 'Edited data'!$G$9:$G$8768,"<" &U10)

Where Column G is where the 8760 data points are and U is where the set of integers are. This should be counting the number of values between (in this case) -15 and -16. This is then autofilled down for the rest of the column, resulting in 56 frequency values.

However, as a check, I put a
Code:
=sum(V9:V64)
at the bottom of the column of frequencies and it adds up to 7846 instead of the expected 8760. I have checked each individual countifs formula and have a =count() function at the bottom of the G column, so I know that 8760 data points exist.

I did this all before Christmas and I'm sure it then showed 8760 in the countifs column. But after ~2 weeks off, it seems to not want to work right anymore!

[N.B. In a formula nearby that is exactly the same in style and use but for a different set of 8760 values, it works fine and has a sum of 8760. I have copied and pasted this formula and changed the various references but it still comes out with the same answers. Very confusing and frustrating!!]

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back