Countifs date range not working

Hi Everyone,

I have read a few posts explaining how to fix this but I cannot seem to get it right. Can anyone help?

I want to count the number of entries in a column that fall in a particular month and year. I have been trying this through trying to set 2 date ranges on a countifs formula but i still returns a 0 value. This is my formula so far for May 2013:

=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M65536,"=>01/05/2013",'Summary sheet'!AC12:AC65536,""<=31/5/2013)

I have to do this from Jan 2012 to Dec 2014. Does anyone also know how to copy this across while automatically updating the date ranges?

Thanks

Steve

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Try putting the dates into designated cells, say A1 and A2 for example

=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M65536,"=>"&A1,'Summary sheet'!AC12:AC65536,"<="&A2)

A1 = 1/5/2013
A2 = 31/5/2013

You'll need to be more specific on the 2nd part.
Which ranges need to adjust as you drag it accross?

Upvote 0
Thanks Jonmo,

This still comes up as a 0 value for me. Do you have any other ideas?

I am pressing control - shift - enter but it still puts brackets round the array. Am I missing something really simple?

Thanks

Steve

Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot the other part.

What I mean about dragging across is that I want to copy this formula to the right so that I calculate this for multiple months across several years. I would like the dates to update as I copy this across. Is this askig too much?

If there is a way of just asking to to match the dates in the array to a month and year that might be easier.

Regards

Steve

Upvote 0
Perhaps your dates aren't really dates.

What do these return
=ISNUMBER('Summary sheet'!$M12) <-- filled down to the end
=ISNUMBER('Summary sheet'!$AC12) <-- filled down to the end

Upvote 0
I have just spotted an error in my formula but it has not solved the issue - I was trying to calculate from two columns when I only wanted to check from column M. But after fixing it I still get the same problem. This is my new formula:

=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M139,"=>01/05/2013",'Summary sheet'!M12:M139,""<=31/5/2013)

I have run the =ISNUMBER('Summary sheet'!$M12) you recommended and it shows all the filled in dates as TRUE and all the blanks as FASLE. I have tried to reduce the formula to just take into account a section of the TRUE answers to test it but still get the same result.

I am beginning to think that it is a problem with the arrays as when I press control - shift - enter it shows the
{ } array error brackets. I have other array formulas that work on this spreadsheet which work and cannot understand what the difference is here.

Sorry to go on, any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Upvote 0
You still have syntax error in there
=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M139,"=>01/05/2013",'Summary sheet'!M12:M139,""<=31/5/2013)
should be
=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M139,"=>01/05/2013",'Summary sheet'!M12:M139,"<=31/5/2013")

But if that's just typoe, I also notice your formula is using dd/mm/yyyy date format.
Maybe your PC is setup to use mm/dd/yyyy.

Does it work this way
=COUNTIFS('Summary sheet'!$M12:$M139,"=>"&DATE(2013,5,1),'Summary sheet'!M12:M139,"<="&DATE(2013,5,31))

Upvote 0
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that syntax error.

I have tried both and it still shows the { } array error brackets when I press control - shift - enter.

Sorry to keep asking you questions. Do you know what these brackets indicate?

Thanks

Steve

Upvote 0
Those {brackets} are NOT an indication of an error.
They simply indicate that the formula was entered as an array with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

This formula does not require the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER method.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saviour198

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back