Countif?

admack

Hi, wondering if someone could help - or at least tell me if something is possible.

I am trying to Return the total number of B's from a range of data, I.e. if the cell above is a B I want it to count the number within the range. Something like this:

Data</SPAN>
OPTION</SPAN>OPTION</SPAN>OPTION</SPAN>OPTION</SPAN>
A</SPAN>B</SPAN>A</SPAN>B</SPAN>A</SPAN>B</SPAN>A</SPAN>B</SPAN>
John</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>1</SPAN>
James</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Ian</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>3</SPAN>
Sue</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>4</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL span=8></COLGROUP>

Desired result (without using a pivot table)

Total Bs</SPAN>
John</SPAN>4</SPAN>
James</SPAN>8</SPAN>
Ian</SPAN>12</SPAN>
Sue</SPAN>16</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

I have tried using a COUNTIF but it aint working... any thoughts?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
For James, try:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$H$2="B"),$A3:$H3)

Upvote 0
It is a little hard to tell what cells your values are in from your posting, so here are my assumptions. The first set of names is in cells A2:A5, the A/B headers are in Row 1, the actual data is in cells B2:I5, second set of names is in cells A10:A13 and the formula below should go in cell B10 and be copied down to cell B13.

=SUMPRODUCT((A10=A$2:A$5)*(B$1:I$1="B")*B$2:I$5)

Upvote 0
Subscribed. I think I have a similar but hopefully less complicated question. If I need to start a new thread I will later but just wanted to see if this was an easy fix for someone on here. I am trying to return a value based on the value of two cells B1 and B2. No specific value, just any value(>1 I guess) and then return a 0, 1 or 2 in cell B3. If Cells B1 & 2 are blank then B3 should = 0. If cell B1 has a value and B2 is blank, then B3 should = 1. If both cells B1 & 2 have a value entered then B3 should =3. I am going to try and attach an image to hopefully better explain what I am after. Thank you in advance for your help and assistan
ce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Subscribed. I think I have a similar but hopefully less complicated question. If I need to start a new thread I will later but just wanted to see if this was an easy fix for someone on here. I am trying to return a value based on the value of two cells B1 and B2. No specific value, just any value(>1 I guess) and then return a 0, 1 or 2 in cell B3. If Cells B1 & 2 are blank then B3 should = 0. If cell B1 has a value and B2 is blank, then B3 should = 1. If both cells B1 & 2 have a value entered then B3 should =3. I am going to try and attach an image to hopefully better explain what I am after. Thank you in advance for your help and assistan
ce.
This is a completely different question than the this thread was started for, so you should start a new thread of your own for it. When you do, you will need to clarify two things...

1) You said "...and then return a 0, 1 or 2 in...", but then later said "If both cells B1 & 2 have a value entered then B3 should =3"... should that =3 have been =2 or was your 0,1,2 list wrong?

2) What should the formula return if B1 is blank and B2 has a value (you did not cover that one in your description of what you wanted the formula to return)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back