Countif & Vlookup array problem(s)

schatham

Both of these may be related, since the problem I'm having is doing the same in either of the things I've tried to do.

I have a spreadsheet where I have several thousand rows of shipto numbers. They may be repeated in this initial worksheet.

I have another worksheet in the same workbook that I have that has about 40,000 rows in it, with this shipto number in column A and a "key" (that tells me something I need to know) in column B. These two columns are a range named REPS.

On Sheet1, I need to know how "dirty" my data is - i.e. how many instances I have where the number of rows of these shipto numbers is > 1. I have a column "Occurrances" in Sheet1, Column D. Column C has this shipto number in it.

If I go to Column D2 and enter:

=COUNTIF(REPS,trim(C2))

what's displayed in Column D2 is exactly that. No error, no nothing. If I hit F2 & edit the formula, then hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter, it does nothing. Left Ctrl + Left Shift + Enter does nothing - same formula is still displayed in the cell.

Even if I do something simple - like put in:

=VALUE(C2) in D2, it just displays the formula in it.

There has to be a setting somewhere, but I haven't knowingly disabled it, and use Vlookups all the time.

Which brings me to the second problem I am having.

On those that have > 1 occurrances of a shipto number, I need to know all the ones it has associated with it.

If I enter the formula manually, I get the same thing as above - the formula displaying in the cell - doesn't make any difference if I hit C+S+E or not.

If I copy the formula from an example spreadsheet & change the references, it works once I change the formula to refer to my data.

That formula is:

=VLOOKUP($C$11,INDEX(Reps,SMALL(IF($C$11=INDEX(Reps,,1),ROW(Reps)-MIN(ROW(Reps))+1,""),ROW(1:1)),,1),2,FALSE)

In this case, $C$11 is =VALUE(B11) Here, the formula appears to work.

What in the heck am I doing wrong?

SC

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
............. After losing the last 2 hours on this issue, it finally dawned on me that the cells were formatted for Text only & wouldn't show a formula no matter how much I edited it, changed it, thought it was wrong, or cussed at it...............................

Sorry!!!!

But, in some small way, explaining the issue is what FINALLY clued me in to what was wrong.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you have noticed but usually just changing from text to number format; it doesn't convert all of the existing formula to their results. Sometimes after you have changed to number format you need to select the column > Text to columns > delimited (step1) > clear all delimiters (step2) > finish.

Upvote 0
Would this work if it was a variable number of repeated records for each of those shipto's?

VLOOKUP() always picks out the first record that satisfies the lookup value. Would you like to post a small sample along with the desired results?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back