Countdown timer in Userform

m_in_spain

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am going round and round in circles trying to get a countdown of minutes to display in a userform.
In the excel worksheet I have a calculated value, as a number of minutes, in Range("Redu01")
When the countdown starts i want Label26.caption to display that value of minutes only, and reduce down to zero, displaying the minutes counting down in Label26
There is a green bar, reducing as time passes, which i turn red when the value displayed is less than 5.
as the value is usually more than 30 minutes, i have a line to reduce the time to 6 minutes between the '=== marks for test purposes

VBA Code:
n = Range("Redu01")
'=== for test
If n > 6 Then n = 6
'===
UserForm1.Label26.Caption = n
For i = 1 To n
Application.Wait (Now + #12:01:00 AM#)
DoEvents
UserForm1.Label26.Caption = Format(DateAdd("m", -1, UserForm1.Label26.Caption), n)
Label28.Width = 66 - 66 * i / n
If UserForm1.Label26.Caption < 5 Then
Label28.BackColor = vbRed
End If
Next i

I am hoping someone far cleverer than I can tell me where I am going wrong.. and how to correct it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I'm guessing you are wanting to create a clock based on system time. It's not impossible but do ber in mind that as long as the code is running, excel will lock you out until code completes execution.
The way to do this without locking you out is to store the current time in an array as variant. Set MyTimer(A,B,C) as the array. Set A as the initial time time value is captured, B is the current time, c is the target time.
Now each time something changes somewhere in your application it can reference these values to compare elements of the array.

To understand timekeeping in Excel, you need to understand how the time value is recorded. Does this help at all?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing you are wanting to create a clock based on system time. It's not impossible but do ber in mind that as long as the code is running, excel will lock you out until code completes execution.
The way to do this without locking you out is to store the current time in an array as variant. Set MyTimer(A,B,C) as the array. Set A as the initial time time value is captured, B is the current time, c is the target time.
Now each time something changes somewhere in your application it can reference these values to compare elements of the array.

To understand timekeeping in Excel, you need to understand how the time value is recorded. Does this help at all?
Hi, Thanks for the answer. Its not quite what I am trying to do. The excel sheet calculates a number of minutes before the next part of the process continues. E.g. it will say 35 minutes before the process continues. The number of minutes varies, depending on the ingredients. I am trying to get that number of minutes displayed on the userform, and to reduce in one minute divisions, show the ne lower number, 34,33,32 etc down to zero, when my operator will progress to the next stage of his progress. I can get the number (using my testing shortcut) ^ to display, then instead of 5 it goes to 11:59 or in one instance -6.
As i said i am going round in ever decreasing circles!

Upvote 0
Looks like i have solved this. I was trying to format this as time, when i just really wanted the number to display and reduce.
VBA Code:
'====timer
n = Range("Redu01")
'=== for test
If n > 6 Then n = 6
'===
UserForm1.Label26.Caption = n
For i = 1 To n
Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("00:01:00"))
DoEvents
n = n - 1
Label26.Caption = n
Label28.Width = 66 - 66 * i / n
If UserForm1.Label26.Caption < 5 Then
Label28.BackColor = vbRed
End If
Next i

Now i am going to try to understand what Rhodie72 wrote above about putting the numbers into an array so it does not lock up excel
Thanks for that

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back