Count number of rows matching criteria

cynti

So I've started to play around with Excel a bit and stumbled on a problem which I haven't managed to find a solution for.
It's a lottery game I'm making statistics of. In this lottery they draw 20 numbers out of 70 possible. I have gathered into a spreadsheet some of the winning numbers (that is I have several rows containing 20 numbers).

Now I want to count the number of rows that contain two specific numbers, say I want to know the number of winning lottery rows that contained BOTH 15 AND 62.
Any ideas how this could be done?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hello cynti, welcome to MrExcel

Lets say your first set of numbers is in A1:T1 and you have 30 sets down to row 30. List your numbers to match somewhere on the worksheet, e.g. 15 in Z2 and 62 in Z3

Then use this formula to count the number of rows that contain both

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(COUNTIF(Z2:Z3,A1:T30),ROW(A1:T30)),ROW(A1:A30))=COUNT(Z2:Z3),1))

This is an "array formula" which needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces like { and } appear around the formula in the formula bar.

Upvote 0
Hi barry and thanks for your reply. I just tested your function but didn't manage to make it work. I get errors in excel 2007 and some earlier version we have at school and also in OpenOffice Calc. When I click OK on the error message "Z3,A1" gets highlighted on the function =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(COUNTIF(Z2:Z3,A1:T30)

Upvote 0
That looks like it's highlighting the first comma. Some versions of Excel need semi-colons ; instead of commas, i.e.

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(COUNTIF(Z2:Z3;A1:T30);ROW(A1:T30));ROW(A1:A30))=COUNT(Z2:Z3);1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back