Count fields

RichP

Board Regular
Hi there,
I work a lot with excel, but I'm quite new to access, and am stuck for ideas on how to do the following:
I have a table listing the denominations of world currencies: first column is country, then currency name, currency code, then the next 14 columns contain the denominations for that country. For the US, the entries are USA, US Dollar, USD$, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and then a number of blanks.
I have a report based on a query that allows me to enter the name of the country, or the currency, or the code, and it will show me all the details listed above. So far so good. What I would like to do is ask the question: What countries have 8 denominations, or 8 denominations or more, or 8 denominations or fewer - the 8 is any number between 1-14.
How can I a) prepare the query to count the number of fields that are filled in for each record, and b) take into account that the first 3 fields don't count?

Many thanks,
RichP

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi RichP,

You could use a crosstab query. If you have your column heading be the denominations, then you could have your value be 1, and then the total row would be a count of the different type of denominations. If you've never used a crosstab query, just use the wizard, it's works well enough.

Onve you have this query built, you can join it to whatever other query your report looks at on currencyID, and then pull the total field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back