Correlation between categorical and numerical values - Excel 2016

lamaman

Dear all, hope there is a statistical crack in here who can help me with the challenge of measuring the correlation a numerical and a set of categorical numbers.

In a nutshell:
I'm analysing a set of marketing data that is showing me the response of customers (measured as '# of people calling a hotline') to radio advertisement, which is promoting the hotline. Every ad that was aired represents one line in the data sheet and contains coloumns that describe the details of the ad such as the name of the radio station, the time, the day and the type of spot (see table below - the actual data table is several 1.000s of lines long).

I'm now interested in how strongly each of those categorical variables (radio station, time etc) correlate with the # of calls. Meaning, what is influencing the # of calls the most? Is it the radio station, is it the time, the spot type...?!

# of callsRadio stationTimeDaySpot type
5Station A9.00MoSpot A
8Station A13.00MoSpot B
10Station C9.00WedSpot B
12Station B20.00ThurSpot C

<tbody>
</tbody>

So far I've tried excel's correlation function of the Data Analysis Tool Pack and by translating all categorical values into numerical ones - which turned out to be complete BS because there is no particular order in those variables ;)

Any support is greatly appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
A pivot table could help you visualize the trend for each factor. But to have a clear mesure of correlation, I'm not sure you can do that without an external tool!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back