Correction to Sum of repeating values question

jkharms

Board Regular
Is there a formula that will sum the product of quantities in Column A times Column B
when both sets of numbers are separated by an equal and repeating number of rows?

A B
3 20
5 12...product of A3 x B5
6 15
7 plus
8 9 ... product of A6 x B8
9 5
10 plus
11 8 ...product of A9 x B11
...continuing on for an unlimited number of rows

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Is there a formula that will sum the product of quantities in Column A times Column B
when both sets of numbers are separated by an equal and repeating number of rows?

A B
3 20
5 12...product of A3 x B5
6 15
7 plus
8 9 ... product of A6 x B8
9 5
10 plus
11 8 ...product of A9 x B11
...continuing on for an unlimited number of rows

Upvote 0
Your question isn't entirely clear. Next time try using the HTML Maker from my signature which formats your sample sheet better. Nevertheless, this might work for you:

ABCD

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Array Formulas
CellFormula
D2{=SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(A3:A100),3)=0,A3:A100*B5:B102))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Your question isn't entirely clear. Next time try using the HTML Maker from my signature which formats your sample sheet better. Nevertheless, this might work for you:

ABCD

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Array Formulas
CellFormula

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks for your help.
I typed in the formula you provided. Then pressed Ctrl + Shift + Enter, but did not get the {} brackets. (I'm using a MAC, which may be the problem...or I'm doing the entering wrong.)
I get the formula to go into the target cell, but I get #VALUE in the cell.
Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I'm much less use to you since I don't have a Mac. However, on older versions of Excel for Mac, the keystroke combination for an array formula was (4-leaf clover button) + return. I believe on newer versions they switched it to CSE like on Windows PCs. Give that a shot, if that doesn't work, then maybe someone with a Mac might chime in.

Upvote 0
Control+Shift+Return works for me on the Mac. Make sure you click in the formula, not just on the cell before the keystroke.

Upvote 0
I'm much less use to you since I don't have a Mac. However, on older versions of Excel for Mac, the keystroke combination for an array formula was (4-leaf clover button) + return. I believe on newer versions they switched it to CSE like on Windows PCs. Give that a shot, if that doesn't work, then maybe someone with a Mac might chime in.

Thanks again, Eric,
I moved over to a PC and managed to get your formula, with the wavy brackets, inserted. However, now the word in the cell changed from #VALUE to #N/A. I've reviewed the formula I inserted several times, and it appears to be exactly what you suggested. I also filled in numbers in the proper rows and columns (Rows 3,6,9,12 - Columns 5,8,11,14) to check the calculations. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Upvote 0
It sounds like you are still having issues with the formula. I wish I was more knowledgeable and could help. I’m sure the others will get you onto a solution. Good luck JK!

Upvote 0

Excel 2010
ABCD
7a
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(A3:A100),3)=0),A3:A100,B5:B102)
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Your question indicated the numbers in Columns A and B.

Your statement that follows is not consistent with the initial question.

"I also filled in numbers in the proper rows and columns (Rows 3,6,9,12 - Columns 5,8,11,14) to check the calculations. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Try submitting a concise example that reflects your challenge.

Is this question duplicated at

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1044560-sum-repeating-values.html#post5014950

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back