J.Ty.

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I am contemplating the possibility of changing my signature to include the following:

All content I have created and subsequently posted at MrExcel forum is © by J.Ty., licensed under MIT license, unless it does not reach the threshold of originality to be copyright protected. This includes each spreadsheet I link here to, even if it does not include this statement. I do not claim copyright over the content I have not created and might by included therein.

The reason is that the Terms od use here state that You retain the ownership of any content (text, programs, and other materials) you post or otherwise submit to this website. This leaves legal doubt if people can freely take and use what I post here. Certainly they do so, but why not give them the rights in an explicit statement?

I ma not a lawyer, let alone US lawyer. I do not know if this is acceptable here, in particular if it does not violate the rights that I grant each time to MrExcel: you will be deemed to have expressly granted (or warranted that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) to MrExcel a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed, whether commercial or non-commercial in purpose. .

What do you think?

J.Ty.

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. Your goal is to explicitly tell people who find your posts that it is okay for them to use your code or spreadsheets provided they include a reference back to you as the creator. That seems perfectly fine. Thanks for checking.

Bill Jelen

This is an interesting question. Your goal is to explicitly tell people who find your posts that it is okay for them to use your code or spreadsheets provided they include a reference back to you as the creator. That seems perfectly fine. Thanks for checking.

Bill Jelen
There is indeed one more point in it: the license explicitly states that I decline any responsibility whatosoever. This part is ALL CAPS in the license.

J.Ty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back