copying conditional formatting

plettieri

Platform
  1. MacOS
All,

Can conditional formatting (only) be copied from one sheet to another sheet? When I attempt to perform this task with columns , all the formatting of the cells are copied....I just want the CF aspect to be copied.

Also attempted each of the options that reside under special paste and still not available.

Any help is appreciated
plettieri

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
It’s a tiny bit fiddly but pretty easy.

Copy a cell from the original sheet to an UNUSED position in the destination sheet (not one with data in it).
Go to Conditional Formatting, Manage Rules
Select Show formatting rules for: This Worksheet
For each rule, change the range that it 'Applies to' to the range where you want it to apply.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for the assist..

"For each rule, change the range that it 'Applies to' to the range where you want it to apply." ..anyway to select all the rules at once or do I need to do each rule individually.

Thanks for looking
plettieri

Upvote 0
Here is an alternative:

You could turn on the Macro Recorder and record yourself doing it manually on one sheet, and then stop the Macro Recorder.
You now have VBA code to apply those CF rules that you can run against any/all other worksheets.
You could even write a loop to run it against all sheets (or any sub-section of sheets that you want).

Upvote 0
To all replies...Thanks so much for the help and suggetions....I was setting up a worksheet for. non profit organization to use to collect data for flowers in a park. Trying to collect the data by countif and using the CF as a tool to help visualize the selections. I want to keep it simple and without my further assistance. So trying to stay away from VBA. I had hoped to be able to select a group of rules to collectively change the "applies to" action....but I see I need to do it individually.....some 25 rules ugh!!! maybe something to consider in the next version release....Thanks again
plettieri

Upvote 0
I want to keep it simple and without my further assistance.
I would have thought that pressing a button (or perhaps double click a cell) to run some vba to do the job would be simpler for your users (or you) than the following, even if it was possible
  • Copying a cell to an unused location
  • Go to Manage CF
  • Change all the 'Applies to' at once (if it was possible)
  • Go back out of Manage CF
  • Delete the cell and CF from that unused location

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter_SSs

I see exactly what you are saying, and in fact, I will give it a try with the Macro approach. I need to be cautious and test along the way, in that worksheets sometimes expand (add cols and rows and move locations) and loose certain reference points. Thanks for replying.

plettieri

Upvote 0
Actually I found a work-around to my problem which I would like to share. CF was probably not the most efficient or most practical method, but I continued with it just out of spite. I first copied the range of interest with all borders, formats, etc..(no CF at this point) to another ( worksheet 2). Then copied the CF I needed to this range of cells on the sheet 1 ...this of course changed all the other features that were there. Then returned to sheet 2 and copied the range of interest format to sheet1.... using special paste "all, merge condition formats" this worked allowing me not to alter every rule.

Thanks again
Plettieri

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back