copying a formula from one workbook to another. Lost the will to live

madmiddle

Evening peeps,

I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my code for the past 4 weeks and have got no closer to fixing it. basically the workbook that i have created is a way of me keeping track of the time that I work but from time to time I tweak the master workbook and then use a macro to copy in the times from the old workbook. If I use .value then it copies it across with no trouble, but if I use the the .formula I have a run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error. any pointer or help greatly received as i' really struggling.

The code in question is:

Code:
For x = 4 To 6    
     For y = 4 To 402
        If Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x).Value <> "" Then 
               Workbooks(planner).Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x).Formula = Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x).Formula
        End If
    Next y
Next x

Thank You in advance

Andy

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Code:
For x = 4 To 6    
     For y = 4 To 402
        If Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x).Value <> "" Then 
               Workbooks([COLOR=#ff0000][B]planner[/B][/COLOR]).Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x)[COLOR=#ff0000].Formula[/COLOR] = Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(y, x).Formula
        End If
    Next y
Next x

Where are you getting the name of the planner workbook from? I can see in your code where there are no "" around it this may be causing you issues?

Also, I do not think you need the first .formula

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where are you getting the name of the planner workbook from? I can see in your code where there are no "" around it this may be causing you issues?

Also, I do not think you need the first .formula

Thanks for the reply,

I've bloody cracked it......

sorry planner is from:
Code:
planner = ActiveWorkbook.Name

with asking about the first formula I put in the code:
Code:
Debug.Print Workbooks(planner).Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula
Debug.Print Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula

The first one printed a result but the second produced the same error so i'd narrowed it down to the second workbook (old.xslm). I spent the following couple of hours looking at the differences and noticed that i have locked the cells (so that it only shows the result from the formula.

now the code is:
Code:
Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Unprotect
For x = 4 To 6
    For Y = 4 To 402
        If Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Value <> "" Then
            'Debug.Print Workbooks(planner).Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula
            'Debug.Print Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula
            Workbooks(planner).Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula = Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Cells(Y, x).Formula
        End If
    Next Y
Next x
Workbooks("old.xlsm").Sheets("Flexi Planner").Protect

I'm slightly annoyed it was that simple..:LOL::LOL:

Andy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back