Copy the cell fill color to the adjacent call, VBA code HELP, "object required" error

lmuller92

Hello, i use excell 2010

My conditional formatting so far will color code names e.g. all cells that say mike have a blue fill color.... no problem that was easy.

But i need the cells to the left of my names column to have the same fill color, e.g. cell f2 is blue and says mike, and i want e2 to recognize that the cell is blue in the adjacent cell and fill its self with the same color. e2 will have a calculated % value.

here is the code i have so far but i keep getting object required, any advise?!

Sub copyValuesAndFormats()
Dim intRow As Integer
Dim rngCopy As Range
Dim rngPaste As Range

'Loop from Rows 1 through 35
For intRow = 1 To 35

'Set the copy and paste range
'CHANGE THE SHEET TO MATCH YOURS
Set rngCopy = DataInColumn.Range("F" & intRow + 1)
Set rngPaste = DataInColumn.Range("E" & intRow + 1)

'Test to see if rows have a value
If rngCopy.Text <> "" Then

'Since it has a value, copy the value and color
rngPaste.Interior.Color = rngCopy.Interior.Color

'If you wish to copy the color of the font as well, uncomment the next line
'rngPaste.Font.Color = rngCopy.Font.Color
End If
Next intRow
End Sub

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
*** fix in tital name[h=2]Copy the cell fill color to the adjacent cell, VBA code HELP, "object required" error[/h]

Upvote 0
What sheet is "DataInColumn" as you haven't defined it anywhere?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you saying it is the sheets name as it appears on the tab or the sheets codename?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My conditional formatting so far will color code names e.g. all cells that say mike have a blue fill color.... no problem that was easy.

But i need the cells to the left of my names column to have the same fill color, e.g. cell f2 is blue and says mike, and i want e2 to recognize that the cell is blue in the adjacent cell and fill its self with the same color. e2 will have a calculated % value.
You do not need VBA code to do this... you can do it all with Conditional Formatting (CF). Remove your current CF rule and select both Columns E and F (if you are using a restricted range row-wise, then select E1:F1 down to the row you want to stop at), then using this formula for your Conditional Formatting rule...

=$F1="Mike"

Note the dollar sign in front of the F column designation.

Upvote 0
Are you saying it is the sheets name as it appears on the tab or the sheets codename?

that is the name i typed into the space on the work sheet tab that usually says "Sheet1".... so yes it is the name that appears on the tab

i am not sure what a sheet codename is?

Upvote 0
so here is an example of what i have done, i have created a sheet where i can change the percentage in column B and then C - F columns are a bunch of off set functions to remove 0's. e.g. so when i make a bar graph it wont put daves name along the axis.

all the names have a certain color from my original conditional format i will use emojiis to denote a cell fill color since i can not do it on this forum. also i can only place 4 emojis so image the others in column A have different emojii (aka back ground cell fill colors) that are all different.

then i have a macro that will make the bar graphs individual bars match the fill color of column E...... but i cant get columb E to copy the cell fill color directly beside it in column F.

one more point is that i will be changing this from, the whole point is so i can punch in a percent in column B and spit out a graph with no 0's

A B C D E F
SpeciesPercentageTemporary data (do not touch)do not touchChart data (Do not touch)do not touch2
mike:)50%50%250%mike:)
dave0%0%450%cam:mad:
cam:mad:50%50%#NUM!#NUM!#NUM!
phil0%0%#NUM!#NUM!#NUM!
matt0%0%#NUM!#NUM!#NUM!
sally0%0%#NUM!#NUM!#NUM!

<tbody>
</tbody>

i tried to simplify it in my original question but maybe the full explanation is needed

Upvote 0
Then you are using the wrong syntax it should be

Code:
Set rngCopy = Sheets("DataInColumn").Range("F" & intRow + 1)
 Set rngPaste = Sheets("DataInColumn").Range("E" & intRow + 1)

The sheets codename is the name that appears outside the brackets in the VBA properties window (see the link below).

Sheet CodeNames: Reference Sheets in Excel Workbooks by Code Name

I really appreciate the quick responses, but now i am getting "compile error: expected: end of statement" referring to the . after the sheet name

Set rngCopy = ("DataInColumn").Range("F" & intRow + 1)
Set rngPaste = ("DataInColumn").Range("E" & intRow + 1)
............................................^..its that period that is highlighted with the error

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back