converting number string

bmurch71

Board Regular
Hi! On a weekly basis, I download a .csv file from a vendor that contains product information. I then import that file into our Access products database. I'm looking for an easy way to convert the number in the UPC column to a 13 digit number - as it is, it's anywhere from 7 to 11 digits. I want to add leading zeros, so that 43559012345 becomes 0043559012345. In addition, I need to remove the last digit from the number - it's a check digit that our database does not recognize as part of the UPC. In the past, the UPC did not contain the check digit and I could add zeros by using an update query and updating the UPC field to (Right$('0000000000000',(13-Len([invoice]![upc])))) & [invoice]![upc]. I cannot figure out how to delete the last digit before I do this step. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, the UPC field must be formatted as text for the comparison reports that I then run using our product tables.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi, in answer to this part of your question :

I cannot figure out how to delete the last digit before I do this step. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Try using this :

Left([Your variable name],Len([Your variable name])-1)

This will give you the number without the last digit. You could either use this in a larger statement within a query (which is what I think you want to do), or you could use it as a stand-alone update query to remove the check digit before you do any further manipulation.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Excellent! That did the trick - I just took your expression and inserted it into the one I was using, no worries! Thanks heaps for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freddocp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back