CONVERTING AN MDE FILE

cheesey

Board Regular
A friend has an mde file which was running fine on Office 97. He has since upgraded to Office 2003 and it wont allow him to convert or run the database anymore.

Has anyone any ideas how to get it to run in 2003?

Thanks in advance

Rgds

Cheesey

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Do they still have the original MDB file?

Upvote 0
Hey cheesey

Bad news I'm afraid! This is a direct cut-and-paste from the Access2000 help

Be sure to save a copy of your original Access database. You can't modify the design of forms, reports, or modules in an Access database saved as an MDE file. If you need to change the design of these objects, you must do so in the original Access database and then re-save the Access database as an MDE file. You also won't be able to run or convert an Access database saved as an MDE file in future versions of Microsoft Access. You will only be able to open or convert the original Access database.

You can copy the tables to a new database and re-create the forms and macros from scratch, but that's all bub!

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
I hope this isnt a dumb question but how do i copy all the tables etc as it wont let me open it in access 2003?

Upvote 0
Import them into a blank database.

You don't need to open it.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply.

I can successfully import the queries but nothing else.

It greys out forms and macros and tables comes up with an disk or network errors

Upvote 0
Just an amusing note - I'm looking at anvil's replay above, and it's so forceful and cold blooded that I'm LMFAO. I'm sympathetic - truly - but that was one 800 pound negative comeback in that citation! (and "that's all bub!") ROFL!

Upvote 0
Was the MDE a front end or did it also contain the tables? Sounds to me like the tables are located in a different database -- it would explain why the queries were accessible, but not the tables. Could be a good idea to search your friend's C drive and th enetwork drives, to see whether you come up with a backend (data) database. As for forms, modules and reports -- I think you're out of luck.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back