Converting a 6 letter column to a 2 letter column using Vlookup. How do I do this?

Jwan622

I have two columns that read:
XXHSXX HR
XXTRXX MG
XXXFXX XG
XXHSXX HS
XXTRXX MG
XXMEXX R$
XXHSXX HR
XXHSXX
XXTRXX
XXTRXX

The above list represents 2 columns. The left column is 400 lines long. The right column is partially complete with 2 letter codes that represent the 6 letter codes on the right. I'm trying to convert the column in the XXYZXX format to a 2 letter column and each of those 2 letters corresponds to the 6 letter column on the left. How do I do this using any method or Vlookup? How does one convert a column of text to a corresponding column of text? I don't want to have to manually type in 2 letter codes that match up the left column. What do I do instead?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
but the two letters I'm extracting are different than the letters in the middle of that column

Upvote 0
They just simply correspond to the 6 letter chain of words. I'm not extracting the letters from the 6 letter chain, they just correspond to the 6 letter code... and I need to fill in the rest of the 2 letter column. Is there any way to convert all of the 6 letter codes to 2 letter codes?

Upvote 0
They just simply correspond to the 6 letter chain of words. I'm not extracting the letters from the 6 letter chain, they just correspond to the 6 letter code... and I need to fill in the rest of the 2 letter column. Is there any way to convert all of the 6 letter codes to 2 letter codes?
Please resolve these near-consecutive contradictions, and explain the logic behind how the 2-letter codes are derived.

Upvote 0
The two letters just correspond to the 6 letter code, but we are not extracting them from the 6 letter code. I've already listed 100% of the corresponding relationships... I just don't want to have to type them by hand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back