Convert large Excel time series analysis to Access

mdarby

I am proficient in Excel but new to Access. I'd avoid using Access entirely except that the volume of data I am working with is overwhelming Excel.

I want to analyze 20 years worth of daily stock price data across 500-1000 stocks, each with >10 variables to track. I can do all the analysis I need for a small number of stocks in Excel, but want to generalize it to a bigger study.

In essence, I really just want to use Access as a data store. I don't think I really need to run complicated queries. Rather, I want to be able to save new data I get off the web or other databases, pull it into Excel, run various analyses, store it back into Access, etc.

Is there a simple example out there of donig these kind of basic functions? I am confortable using VBA. Once the Access database is set up, how does one create a new field and populate it with a calculation (eg. the product of two other fields)?

Finally, I have a specific question about this application. I would like to calculate a ranking for a particular field across all stocks in the database for each day. That is, say for 2/1/2002 I want to know if particular stock's yearly increase is 227th out of 500 stocks. This requires analyzing a cross section of stocks then running a macro or VBA against that data set. Has anybody done something like this before?

Thanks for any pointers, I know exactly what I want to do here but am getting stuck on the basic interaction between Excel and Access.

THANKS!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back