Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Hi all,
I am importing from excel data that has times. When the data comes in some of the times seem to have been stored in decimal format (i.e. 0.3958333333 for 9:30AM). I am trying to find a way to test for this decimal format and convert it to a time value that can be stored in a Date/Time field on Access?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Re: Convert Decimal Time Values to real Time values [SOLVED]

Hi all,
I am importing from excel data that has times. When the data comes in some of the times seem to have been stored in decimal format (i.e. 0.3958333333 for 9:30AM). I am trying to find a way to test for this decimal format and convert it to a time value that can be stored in a Date/Time field on Access?

Thanks

Ok. I found the solution testing with isDate() and if failing isDate() use CDate to create the time value in DateTime format. (see below)

If IsDate(rsISR![Time5]) Or IsNull(rsISR![Time5]) Then
rsASR![Time5] = rsISR![Time5]
Else
rsASR![Time5] = CDate(rsISR![Time5])
End If

Upvote 0

Access/Excel both store dates/times as numbers. Specifically, it is the number of days since 1/1/1900. A decimal represents the time component, as all it really is is a "fraction" of a day.

So, you should be able to import the numbers "as-is" and just choose a valid date/time format to display them the way you want.

Upvote 0

It is somewhat curious as Joe is correct. This works fine for me:

Code:
Sub foo()
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Table1")
With rs
    .Edit
    .Fields("TransTime").Value = 0.39
    .Update
End With
End Sub

If you find out a little more post back - there has to be something going on (could be in the data, the DB structure, or in the code ... or maybe I'm just crazy).

However, I do like using text representations of dates since different systems use different number systems to measure dates. I think the safest dates are internationally recognizable formats such as ISO 8061 format or something similar (importantly, to avoid m/d and d/m since this is ambiguous - jun 5 or may 6 are both valid interpretations of 6/5). If you use a strictly ISO compliant date format such as yyyy-mm-dd there is the added advantage that even as text the dates are sortable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielCorn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back