Conundrum - need to automate

Bothell

I work in a staffing department and help manage the staffing of several call centers. Periodically, they take a pool of bankers and realign the schedules to gain efficiencies. All the agents are assigned a rank, and we produce a pool of schedules for how many agents there are. The agents then choose enough schedules to match their rank (I.E. someone ranked 3 would have to choose 3 different schedules). In theory, this works, because they know that they will at least get one schedule that they have chosen.

The perplexing issue that I have been wrestling with is this. I would like to automate the selection process. I am including a small example so I can illustrate my issue:
Book1
CDEFGHI
2Choices
3NameRank12345
4Agent141432
5Agent213
6Agent3534251
7Agent43524
8Agent5243
Sheet1

What we are doing right now is sorting based on rank and marking off schedules as they are used. For example, Agent2 will get Schedule 3 because he is ranked the highest. However, when I move to Agent3, Schedule 3 has already been taken. There is a master list of schedules, and we are meticulously crossing them off and checking each Agent. This wouldn't be bad if there were only 5 agents like in the example, but there are over 2000, and you can imagine how tedious that can become. Not to mention the human error that is introduced.

What I am looking for is a solution, or some kind soul to point me in the right direction as to how I can automate this process. I know Excel pretty well and Access fairly well, and I am not sure how I should tackle this.

Thank you,

~bothell

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I'm not sure I have a solution.. but just some quick questions for now.

If you have 2000 agents, are there then 2000 different schedules?

Do all your agents have unique rankings, (i.e. ranked 1 - ranked 2000)?

If the answer to both questions above is yes, then would agent ranked #1871 have 1871 schedules to choose from that he/she has ranked sequential order?

Just trying to understand how your system works on a larger scale.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back