confused about the best way to do this

siamsunset

I work for a printing firm, we have a clients/jobs database that lists all clients and previous and current jobs. We also have a very complex excel spreadsheet that we use to make quotes. The problem is after we enter in all the information on the quotes spreadsheet we have to re- enter the info again into the jobs table of the clients database. My question is, would it be viable to make a quotes form in Access? Also we will need to be able to produce multiple reports for each part of a job, for example..an invoice for a client, a print order for the paper company, film invoice for the film producer ect.. all based from the same quotation. Sorry for such a dumb question but im new to access and still not sure on its limitations..
Thanks In Advance
Ben

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi Ben,

The short answer to all the question is "Yes". Once the database is up and running, data need only be entered once and the reports can be set up to do pretty much anything you need. Once you have, you'll wonder why you tried to do it in Excel.
But... it will take quite some time to go from scratch to a good, working system. I'd suggest getting your hands on a good, basic text that goes beyond just beginner stuff. Something like Helen Feddema's Access Version 2002 Inside Out. (Mine cost me $90 from Dymock's). Also, check out this site http://www.advanced-ict.info/ and navigate to the Database section.
Look for some clues on how to design the table structure (go to the MS Knowledge Base, search for Understanding Relational Design, to get a good, free resource). Get the structure right, and the database is easy to work with and expand. Get it wrong, and you'll quickly get frustrated and have to do it all over again.
Otherwise, come back here with more specific issues as you hit them, and the guys on the Board will help you out.

Hope I didn't put you off, but Access requires some planning if you're going to use it effectively.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blake86

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back