Confirmation of O/P resolution

plettieri

Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello Moderators:

I have been a member for only a short period and have not seen a lot of posts, so I don't know if this might be an appropriate question for new person. So I appologize in advance if I have offened anyone.

I have noticed that on many threads that the "open poster" (O/P) has not indicated which solution offered actually resolved the issue. I think that this is not only impolite, but not productive for the benefit of others later on when searching on similar questions. I am sure that with the number of replies that one or more solution obtained resolved the problem. This is a highly dedicated group and the solutions offered are excellent.

Thus, to the question:

Is it possible, practical, or even helpful to consider in the next forum modification that there be some way to indicate by the O/P that their question was resolved to their satisfaction and which solution they utilized? Something to consider.....

Thank you

plettieri

hi plettieri,

This has been raised a few times before. I think the balance of opinion was that the risks (making it less likely to get a solution better than the one you thought was OK etc) outway the benefits (being polite etc). i guess opinions may have changed, but can't see the point myself - if people can't be bothered to respond already, I don't see how giving them the functionality to be more specific will help!

ps 600 posts hardly counts as a board newbie! keep up the good work :)

Agreeing 100% with Paddy. There are two issues to consider:

1) Multiple solutions work.
2) The O.P. has chosen the less optimal approach for whatever reason (happens all the time). In this case, this type of functionality is backwards for future reviewers.

With the volume on this board, and differing expertises, this would be difficult to moniter.

Hi:

I guess I am focusing only on the aspect of having a explicit source of search information available to work from...( I guess I am being a little selfish in that I can't organize my background information [typical question/replies] in one place, as I work from several locations, different machines and networks. By the way, the "favorites" feature on this forum works quite handily.

Your opinions are based on much experience and are greatly appreciated to help he understand the logic here.

As far as monitoring this on the board....I don't know how it could work mechanically, but allow O/P's to have only XX? questions open at one time...in other words, have the O/P closed before next are opened.

I guess that is somewhat restricting new posts.....

tks anyway

plettieri

..., but allow O/P's to have only XX? questions open at one time...in other words, have the O/P closed before next are opened.

I guess that is somewhat restricting new posts...

I get what you mean, but it's not necessarily the OP's fault if a question goes unanswered / remains open. you'd then be forcing the OP to make a decision on when to give up on a question. also, questions that are not answered to the OP's satisfaction are not necessarily devoid of answers. Imagine the following schematic for a thread:

OP: asks question
Someone else: provides brilliant solution to the question as asked
OP: decides the original was not the question after all, rephrases & leaves thread "open".

...clearly these sorts of examples can be generated indefinitely. I guess the bottom line, for me, is that a solution is usually a solution to something, whether or not it's a solution to the OP's question. Limiting searches by 'solved' will not necessarily increase your chances of hitting on the answer you need, and will certainly tend to reduce your chances of serendipitously coming across approaches you didn't expect / solutions to other problems you've got but forgot to ask about.

Hi all,

At OzGrid forum it works well and from the beginning I disliked it but have realized it serves its purpose.

Have a look here:
http://ozgrid.com/forum/index.php

No, the status "solved" does not indicate that the OP have solved the issue with the best available technical solution.

It does not imply which solution the OP have picked up.

The status "solved" shouldn´t prevent other members to add new solutions but other members are aware of that the issue have been solved to the OP´s satisfaction.

The status "solved" indicate that the OP have received at least one solution which he/she understand and therefore also can adapt.

Perhaps it will prevent the general trend to present overworked solutions for *every* questions when it comes to VBA.

For instance, to find the range in use in a column can be done in many ways. The more solutions that are provided the more they tend to focus on technical code-aspects, ie speed and number of lines.

In most case the OP don´t have enough skillness & knowledge and perhaps not the time as well to make any further investigations about the differences.

I e it become more of an academical discussion then based on the initial issue. Of course, this is interesting but not always for the OP.

Anyway just my 2c-opinion from working with clients every day,

Kind regards,
Dennis

Perhaps add another option in the e-mail notification (if you're the OP) to click on a 'Resolved' link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back