Conditional Formatting

vidyanand

Hello,

I want to conditionally format columns based on quartiles. I am able to conditionally format single column at a time but I have more than 100 columns to format. It's time consuming to edit cell values for each column. So how I can put condition in conditional formatting which is applicable to all the columns.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Under what condition should your columns be formatted?

Upvote 0
All the columns need to be formatted according to quatriles based on values in columns. As values in each columns would be different so do quartile. For eg., if Column A has 1,2,3,4 & column B has 5,6,7,8 as values, 3rd Quartile (i.e. 75th Percentile) would be different for both columns.

Right now I can conditionally format Column A where I am looking to highlight value greater than 3rd Quartile of Column A but when I am trying to apply same conditional formatting to Column B, it highlights all the values as it considers 3rd Quartile of Column A as condition.

So I have to manually replace the condition in each column. I am looking for universal conditional formatting which will applicable to all the columns.

Upvote 0
So

Highlight column A if below 25% of a given value
Highlight column B if between 25% and 50% of a given value
Highlight column C if between 50% and 75% of a given value
Highlight column D if above 75% of a given value

Upvote 0
That's perfect. But in your example, we need to give 4 different conditions for 4 columns. This is not I am looking for. I just want to apply one condition; highlight the values in columns if it is above 75% of respective column values.

Upvote 0
So like using a formual to determine outcome

=(B2/A2)>75%

So if column B is more than 75% of A then set the highlight. This could be applied across the four columns as in next column it would equate B as C ....

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. Simple relative reference. I thought conditional formatting doesn't allow to do so. But mistake now corrected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back