JMWh1t3

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hiya everyone,

I have a sheet on teams that multiple people use from multiple locations. I have conditional formatting on the sheet using an xlookup to highlight cells and rows that meet certain requirements. At the minute I am having to do the lookups via entire columns (e.g. =xlookup($A1,'Data'E:E,'Data'F:F) so it looks for the value in the first column and highlights the cells where the value in A:A is found in E:E and there is and entry in F:F. This works, but due to doing entire column calculations it is sometimes incredibly slow. I have had to format it this way because at the end of each shift we delete complete rows and if I did the lookup on E1:E500 then when the rows are deleted I end up with #Ref errors or gaps in the formatting.

Is there a way to make a range dynamic, so if i have E1:E500 and rows were deleted it would still stay as E1:E500 and not break. I tried with a Named Range also but I couldn't make it work.

I would like this to work for conditional formatting and formulas if possible. I have Countifs and Sumifs and these are calculated on full rows too as there is always different amounts of data in the sheet, between 50 to 350 rows.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Normally referencing an entire column isn't a problem unless the formula is an array formula. I don't think yours is, so I'm not sure what's slowing you down. Hard to tell without having the whole picture.

When putting formulas (or VBA code) into a post, it is a best practice to copy it directly from Excel and put it into your post to ensure that what we are looking at is what's really in your file. The formula you showed here is invalid.

The only option I can think of that does not use a full column reference is to use OFFSET. However, this has a downside that it is a volatile function, and so will be recalculated every time anything your sheet is recalculated. This could also cause your sheet calculations to slow, depending on how you're using it.
Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP($A1,OFFSET('Data'!$E$1,0,0,500),OFFSET('Data'!$F$1,0,0,500))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back