Conditional Formatting - valid formulas?

dleseward

I am trying to set conditional formats based on a table lookup rather than referencing another cell in the same sheet. does anyone know if this is possible?

Example:

Table (defined as an Excel Table on Sheet 2):
Headers> "Column A", "Column B", "Column C"
Row1> 001, "OK", £100
Row2> 002, "NOTOK",£200,
etc

Sheet 1:
A1 = 001 (a valid entry from Column A in the Table)

I want to set a conditional formatting rule in A1 based on a corresponding value in the Table, so I assumed a condition such as the following might work:

=index(Table,match($A1,Table[ColumnA],0),match("Column B",Table[#Headers],0))="OK"

However Excel 2010 reports an error when I try to enter this condition. Is INDEX not a allowable formula in conditional formats? and if not, is there a list of valid functions one can use?

Note, I know that this works if I create a formula in B1 that performs the lookup with Index and then set a conditional format for A1 based on the formula =$B1="OK". So that is not a problem. I just wanted to avoid having to do this.

thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
From excel help

Note When you create a conditional format, you can only reference other cells on the same worksheet; you cannot reference cells on other worksheets in the same workbook, or use external references to another workbook.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks. So this would have been OK if the Table had been on the same Sheet?

Note that if you go to Excel Help and lookup Conditional Formatting, it says the following:
"Conditional formatting across worksheets

You can use conditional formatting on cells that are referenced in another worksheet in the same workbook. This capability is not available between workbooks.
"

cheers,
David

Upvote 0
In Excel 2010 you can refer to cells on different worksheets directly in CF formulas. You cannot use table references though, as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
OK thanks.

Makes sense as Chart formulas have the same problem. It seems the development team didn't enable Table references anywhere except in straight cell & array formulas.

cheers,
David

Upvote 0
From excel help

Note When you create a conditional format, you can only reference other cells on the same worksheet; you cannot reference cells on other worksheets in the same workbook, or use external references to another workbook.
However Excel 2010 reports an error
Although I don't have Excel 2010, I've read that you can refer to other sheets for CF in Excel 2010.

Also, if I remember correctly, using formulas with the structured table syntax won't work in (Excel 2007) in refedits.

To the OP, try using regular A1 references in your formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, as before, you can work around it by defining a name using the table-ref formula and then using that name in the CF dialog.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back