Conditional Formatting - Highlight Cells to return Alphabetical only (amongst Alphanumerical entries)

shauneyd

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I have a huge column with a mix of both Alphanumeric and Alphabetical entries like so:

G1
G2
G3
A
AA
AB

Using Conditional Formatting I would like to highlight only those cells that contain Alphabetical only and no numbers i.e. A, AA, AB and so on.

I have been playing around with a few formulas but I am having no luck so far. Every formula I use highlight every single entry on the column.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

Try:

Book1
A
1List
2G1
3G2
4G3
5A
6AA
7AB
823Skidoo
9Bananas
10Hang10
11Stop
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A:AExpression=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,A1)),A1<>"")textNO

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

Try:

Book1
A
1List
2G1
3G2
4G3
5A
6AA
7AB
823Skidoo
9Bananas
10Hang10
11Stop
Sheet1
A:AExpression=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,A1)),A1<>"")textNO
Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your kind welcome. I am looking forward to being an active member of the site and hopefully I can help others.

And thank you for the great formula - it works a treat on some test data I tried. I do have an additional problem that I have just discovered though - the Master Spreadsheet data contains blank cells in the column and the formula doesn't work with it. Is there any way I can add to the formula so that when it sees a blank cell it ignores it? I have been playing about with a few statements but not getting it to work unfortunately.

If there is no way of doing this though I'll maybe add a value of zero into any blank cells I encounter.

Thank you so much again for your help, I really am grateful.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that those cells are empty? I designed the formula to ignore empty cells (see rows 12 and 13 in my example above).

=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,A1)),A1<>"")

The part of the formula in red is what should ignore empty cells. My guess is that you have something in those cells that's not visible, and it would have to have a number in it. Are any of those cells formatted not to show data? Any other Conditional Formatting on that column? If you still can't figure it out, can you show an example of where it fails, using the xl2bb tool that I used? You can see how to download, install, and use it with the link in my signature, or in the reply box.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that those cells are empty? I designed the formula to ignore empty cells (see rows 12 and 13 in my example above).

=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,A1)),A1<>"")

The part of the formula in red is what should ignore empty cells. My guess is that you have something in those cells that's not visible, and it would have to have a number in it. Are any of those cells formatted not to show data? Any other Conditional Formatting on that column? If you still can't figure it out, can you show an example of where it fails, using the xl2bb tool that I used? You can see how to download, install, and use it with the link in my signature, or in the reply box.
My apologies Eric. The formula works perfectly. I took my time and did a lot of cleanup of the data (but left the blanks in) so there must indeed have been something that wasn't visible within the data - possibly in white font, who knows. Apologies again Eric and my sincere thanks to you. Thank you for taking the time, I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric, one last question if you don't mind. How would I amend the formula if I was to highlight the entire row instead of just the cell? I have been trying myself but to no avail unfortunately. I promise this will be the last question I ask on this. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Just extend the range you want it to apply to, and put $ in front of the column with the cell:

Book1
ABC
1ListSomethingElse
2G1a1
3G2b2
4G3c3
5Ad4
6AAe5
7ABf6
823Skidoog7
9Bananash8
10Hang10i9
11Stopj10
Sheet1
A:CExpression=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,$A1)),$A1<>"")textNO

Upvote 0
Solution
Just extend the range you want it to apply to, and put $ in front of the column with the cell:

Book1
ABC
1ListSomethingElse
2G1a1
3G2b2
4G3c3
5Ad4
6AAe5
7ABf6
823Skidoog7
9Bananash8
10Hang10i9
11Stopj10
Sheet1
A:CExpression=AND(ISERROR(FIND(ROW($1:$10)-1,$A1)),$A1<>"")textNO
Eric, thank you so much. I am very grateful for your time and patience with this. This is perfect. Really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back