Conditional Formatting Finding Multiple Matched Values

diderooy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have built a couple basic macros to convert some datasets from different sources to the same basic layout, where the lists of remaining values should each have a match within the other set. All the values should have an identical match, but I want to be able to isolate the ones that don't. I'm guessing I can use a COUNTIFS formula or something in the conditional formatting manager to achieve this, but I can't seem to get it right. Any ideas?

Here is a snip of a sample of my datasets, after I've combined them into the same table (on a new worksheet) and sorted them by column B:

1718901216709.png

I want to highlight rows where there is no match for column B or there is not a corresponding match in column C. With the first ticket as an example, I expect and found two rows of ticket # 10588019 with a matching weight of 45,340 lbs; if a keying error results in an "o" instead of a "0", I want it highlighted, if the weight is off by 10 lbs, I want it highlighted. Theoretically, I would see the following when I apply the conditional formatting rule:

1718901647680.png

Bear in mind, as seen in rows 2-5, there will be more than two rows with the same weight, but hopefully no more than 2 that correspond to the same ticket #.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Do you mean like this?
1718905112524.png

As long as you have sorted your data by column B and column C, you could produce that result by selecting the range B2:C12, and entering in this Conditional Formatting formula:
Excel Formula:
=AND(B2<>B1,B2<>B3)
and choosing your desired formatting color.

Upvote 0
However, while the results of my previous post return the result you posted, I don't think that is really what you want, as it handles columns B and C independent on each other.
I think you want to take them in conjunction with one another, like this:
1718905012784.png

For that, you would still select range B2:C12, but use this Conditional Formatting formula instead:
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIFS($B:$B,$B2,$C:$C,$C2)=1

Upvote 0
Solution
The first of these appears to have accomplished what I was looking for, but does not display in the conditional formatting manager the way you indicated (or that I pasted). Why does the formula change from this:

1718975790781.png

to this:

1718975576024.png

after I click "OK" the first time?

If I manually change it back to the formula you gave, it will keep it, and then does not work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what :/

Attachments

• 1718975774375.png
    1718975774375.png
    17 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Do NOT select the whole column before entering the Conditional Formatting formula, since it is trying to look up one row. Start with row 2 and go down as far as you need/want, and then enter the formula.

Upvote 1
Oh, okay. In that case, the second formula (COUNTIF) does seem to work better.

Thank you for all your help! Happy Monday :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uuavjed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back