Conditional Formatting - apply rules to multiple rows based on specific cells (drop down menus)

AndyB86

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've tried looking through a number of conditional formatting threads but can't find one that answers my question, I was hoping someone may be able to help. I'm developing a workflow tracker and want to apply conditional formatting to colour code rows dependent on where each project is up to. Each row will need to be colour coded based on specific cells yes/no value within that row. Currently there are less than 20 projects on the spreadsheet, but this could rise to hundreds, so I don't want to have to manually add CF to each row if it's avoidable, but every time I remove the $ to undo the absolute referencing of any specific cell the formatting stops working.

1725977882039.png

(As an FYI there is data in columns A-D, but it's customer data so I've omitted it for GDPR).

I've managed to CF on a specific row (Row 4) so that if Cell E4 "Installed" is Yes the row changes to blue, if Cell G4 "Handover done" is Yes the row changes to peach, and if Cell L4 "Paid" is Yes the row changes to green with that order of preference. However, I need to mass copy that to every other row, but so it pulls from the corresponding box on the correct row (i.e. E5 changes Row 5 blue).

1725978190920.png

If I remove the $ (so =E4="Yes" rather than =$E$4="Yes"), it will only highlight A4 and E4 in blue, not the whole row. But without removing the $ to unlock the cell referencing, I can't copy the formula to multiple other rows (unless I individually change it in each row). Hopefully that all makes sense! Any ideas how I can copy this to every other row?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back