Conditional Divide Formula

Snoopyy

Hello friends, I was hoping I'd be able to get some help for a certain project of mine concerning navigating data in Excel sheets.

Suppose I have two columns, A and B, and in these columns there are different values. In column A, some names are the same and some are different. For example, column A may have values like "dog, house, street, door" and column B has different values like "Rock, Bed".

Column A Column B
Dog Rock
Dog Rock
Dog Rock
House Rock
Street Bed
Dog Rock
Door Bed

Now, I want to divide Column A/Column B with values in Column A that share the same values in Column B. Column A has the values "Dog" and "House" which both have "Rock" in Column B across from it, so I would want to divide them to get Dog/Rock, Dog/Rock, Dog/Rock, House/Rock, Dog/Rock. Also, "Street" and "Door" each have "Bed" in Column B, so I would want Excel to divide them to get Street/Bed and Door/Bed.

I know this may seem complicated, but it is precisely why I took this to this forum! I hope one of your Excel masters have a trick in mind that you'll be able to share with me. Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Not really sure I understand what you want, unless you just want to combine the 2 sets of text (you probably know you cannot divide text?)

So maybe this...
A​
B​
C​
1​
DogRockDog/Rock
2​
DogRockDog/Rock
3​
DogRockDog/Rock
4​
HouseRockHouse/Rock
5​
StreetBedStreet/Bed
6​
DogRockDog/Rock
7​
DoorBedDoor/Bed
C1=A1&"/"&B1
copied down

Upvote 0
I apologize, let me rephrase!
ABCDE (Unique Values in A)F(Average for Column B for Each Unique Value in A)G (Unique Values in C)H (Average for Column D for Each Unique Value in C)I (Average Unique in Column A / Average Unique in Column B)
Dog2Door3Dog3/2Door7/3((3/2)/(7/3))
Dog1Door2Shoe3Bed7/4((3)/(7/3))
Shoe3Door2House3((3)/(7/4))
House2Bed1Rock1((1)/(7/4))
House3Bed3
House4Bed2
Rock1Bed1

<tbody>
</tbody>

In Column I, you only want to divide the averages in Column F/ Column H if that unique value in Column A shares a value in Column C, so since dog and shoe in Column A each share "Door" in Column C, I would divide the unique average for dog over the average for door, and also divide the unique average for shoe over the average for door.

I realize this is a challenge (for me at least), but I bet you guys probably do this stuff in your sleep!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back