Concatenate row with variable columns where some have no data

v-joro

Hi,

To start off, my question is very similar to the one at this location: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/553169-concatenate-row-variable-number-columns.html

This is the provided solution that I've been trying to use:
Code:
Sub ConCatFromColumnC()
  Dim X As Long, LastRow As Long, LastCol As Long
  Const StartRow As Long = 1
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
  For X = StartRow To LastRow
    LastCol = Cells(X, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
    If LastCol = 3 Then
      Cells(X, "B").Value = Cells(X, "C").Value
    Else
      Cells(X, "B").Value = Join(Application.Index(Range(Cells(X, "C"), Cells(X, LastCol)).Value, 1, 0), ", ")
    End If
  Next
End Sub

However, the problem is that when I use the solution provided, I receive the error: "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch", and it highlights the line immediately below the "Else" statement. I believe this is because some of the rows in my data do not have data to be concatenated (or, I may be adapting the solution incorrectly by only changing the "B" and "C" values to "E" and "F").

Example:

Row1Data1Data4
Row2Data1Data2Data3
Row3
Row4Data2
Row5Data1Data3

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I would like the second column in the example (which is column E in my spreadsheet) to concatenate all cells that contain data to the right of it. Some of these are as long as 200 cells, but they will always be horizontally adjacent to each other, because I've removed blank cells and shifted the data left.

If it helps, each row will contain a counter to show how many cells are populated in the row, so the macro could reference that if needed.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
So for the table shown above, what do you expect to see in column E of row 1, "Data1 Data4"? 'cos I have not looked at the macro above

Upvote 0
Guess I forgot to provide that. Yes, you are correct. Here's the updated example:

Col. D
Col. E
Col. F
Col. G
Col. H
Row 1
Data 1, Data 4
Data 1
Data 4
Row 2
Data 1, Data 2, Data 3
Data 1
Data 2
Data 3
Row 3
Row 4
Data 2
Data 2
Row 5
Data 1, Data 3
Data 1
Data 3

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Also, mild revision to the code below, I had a couple of incorrect references that I just noticed and are now fixed (still getting the same run-time error though).

Code:
  Const StartRow As Long = 2
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row
    If LastCol = 6 Then
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Cells(X, "F").Value
    Else
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Join(Application.Index(Range(Cells(X, "F"), Cells(X, LastCol)).Value, 1, 0), "; ")
    End If
  Next

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JUst wrote this, Please give it a try
Code:
Sub concatenatesum()
    lastrow = Range("d1").End(xlDown).Row

For I = 2 To lastrow
        lastcol = Range("XFD" & I).End(xlToLeft).Column
        If lastcol <= 5 Then
            Cells(I, "E").Value = ""
        Else
            msg = ""
            For j = 6 To lastcol
                If Cells(I, j).Value <> "" And msg <> "" Then
                    msg = msg & ", " & Cells(I, j)
                Else
                    msg = msg & Cells(I, j)
                End If

Next j
            Cells(I, "E").Value = msg
        End If
    Next I
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,

To start off, my question is very similar to the one at this location: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/553169-concatenate-row-variable-number-columns.html

This is the provided solution that I've been trying to use:
Code:
Sub ConCatFromColumnC()
  LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "[B][COLOR=#FF0000]D[/COLOR][/B]").End(xlUp).Row
    If LastCol = [COLOR=#FF0000][B]6[/B][/COLOR] Then
      Cells(X, "[COLOR=#FF0000][B]E[/B][/COLOR]").Value = Cells(X, "[COLOR=#FF0000][B]C[/B][/COLOR]").Value
    Else
      Cells(X, "[COLOR=#FF0000][B]E[/B][/COLOR]").Value = Join(Application.Index(Range(Cells(X, "[COLOR=#FF0000][B]F[/B][/COLOR]"), Cells(X, LastCol)).Value, 1, 0), ", ")
    End If
  Next
End Sub

However, the problem is that when I use the solution provided, I receive the error: "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch", and it highlights the line immediately below the "Else" statement. I believe this is because some of the rows in my data do not have data to be concatenated (or, I may be adapting the solution incorrectly by only changing the "B" and "C" values to "E" and "F").

Example:

Row1Data1Data4
Row2Data1Data2Data3
Row3
Row4Data2
Row5Data1Data3

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would like the second column in the example (which is column E in my spreadsheet) to concatenate all cells that contain data to the right of it. Some of these are as long as 200 cells, but they will always be horizontally adjacent to each other, because I've removed blank cells and shifted the data left.

If it helps, each row will contain a counter to show how many cells are populated in the row, so the macro could reference that if needed.

Thank you in advance!
Here is the code you tried to use modified for your setup as opposed to the setup the code you copied was designed for...

Rich (BB code):
Sub ConCatFromColumnC()
    If LastCol = 6 Then
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Cells(X, "C").Value
    Else
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Join(Application.Index(Range(Cells(X, "F"), Cells(X, LastCol)).Value, 1, 0), ", ")
    End If
  Next
End Sub

I highlighted in red all the changes I had to make to adapt the code to your setup. The only change I am not sure of is the one in the 3rd line of code where I use "D" as the column to calculate the LastRow... that column needs to be a column that is guaranteed to contain the last piece of data on the worksheet, so if D is not correct, then change the letter designation to the column containing data down to the end of the data on the sheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Momentman: That worked perfectly, thank you so much!

Rick: Thank you for helping me with adapting your code; it does work, but only if there aren't blanks between the data it's pulling. So, in the example, Row 3 causes it to error. However, the code posted by Momentman worked perfectly, and didn't encounter any errors, so I've got what I need now. :)

Thank you both so much for your help! I'd been trying to figure this out for a while, you've saved me a lot of time. :)

Upvote 0
Rick: Thank you for helping me with adapting your code; it does work, but only if there aren't blanks between the data it's pulling. So, in the example, Row 3 causes it to error. However, the code posted by Momentman worked perfectly, and didn't encounter any errors, so I've got what I need now. :)

I know you have an answer from Momentman, but I still wanted to make my code work for you (mainly to keep the thread accurate for possible future viewers), so here is my fixed code...

Code:
Sub ConCatFromColumnC()
    If LastCol = 6 Then
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Cells(X, "F").Value
    ElseIf LastCol > 6 Then
      Cells(X, "E").Value = Join(Application.Index(Range(Cells(X, "F"), Cells(X, LastCol)).Value, 1, 0), ", ")
    End If
  Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
I know you have an answer from Momentman, but I still wanted to make my code work for you (mainly to keep the thread accurate for possible future viewers), so here is my fixed code...

Hi Rick,

I tested your new version, and can confirm that it works with my data. I may actually use this instead, because I understand what your code is doing, which will allow for easier troubleshooting. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back