Complete Access Newbie

willlobb

Board Regular
Hi,

I've been using FileMaker Pro for a long time now, but have been asked to create a database for my company in MS Access. :rolleyes:

I've never used access before and have already become a bit stuck...in FMP, u can draw a portal, drag the related fields u want to show into the portal and there u have it - all the related records are shown.

In Access, i'm guessing I have to use a Subform? (correct me if i'm wrong!). but the whole process just seems far more complicated than it is in FMP.

Can anyone tell me if i seem to be doing this right? and if not, what should I be doing? or is there an easier way?

Many thanks in advance!

Will

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi,

The details you give are fairly sketchy, so it's difficult to work out exactly what you are trying to do...

However, if you are trying to create a form to display fields from a number of related tables, you can do this via a query, making that query the basis of your form - i.e. you do not necessarily need a subform.

Some details of your table set-up, the relationships & the fields you want on your form would help people here to help you with your issues. You might also find that Grover Park George's book is a great help to you - I have not read it, but the guy has helped me on numerous occasions over at the UA board and know's his stuff!

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your reply...

I work for a ship management company. I'm making a database to display info on all the Cadet Deck/Engineer officers.

The database has 10 related tables and one main form (Cadet Form) from which all the required data is displayed/entered.

Each Cadet will go on 5 training courses on Oil Tanker Ships and 5 courses at a college. The ships/colleges that the cadet have been trained at are stored in two of the 10 tbls in the DB. The other tables are for things such as Medical Status, Certificates Held, Bank Account Details, etc.

On the main 'Cadet Form', I want all the data to be displayed. ie all the ships/colleges etc related to the Cadet. In FileMaker, to do this all I had to do was insert a portal select the fields I wanted to display, and the data would be listed in one table, row by row. I could also select how many rows i wanted to be displayed and which row to show initially.

I want to do the same in Access..so do I have to use a SubForm? or can I base my form on a query as suggested above by WillR?

Many thanks,

Will

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senthil Murugan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back