Compile error in hidden module: modMouse

kimdraper

Hi
I tried (big mistake) to add in a date picker into an excel spreadsheet (Excel 2010). I followed the instructions to put the add-in into the XLSTART folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14\XLSTART). The add-in came from Sam Radakovitz. I copied it in as instructed, now I keep getting the message "compile error in hidden module: modMouse" every time i open up excel. The most annoying thing is that I cannot delete that file from the XLSTART folder. When I try, I get the message "this cation can't be completed because the file is open in Microsoft Excel'. I have tried an number of ways to delete the file (samradDatePicker) to no avail. Please help!!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Strange that you can't delete the file if Office isn't running (1st thing after a reboot).

but anyway I understand it is an Add-in, and so you should remove it from the Tools/Add-in menu (Excel 2003-) or from the File/Options/Add-in dialog. Press the Go... button and another dialog comes up where you can untick the add-in. Press OK until you are back at excel. Close and now the add-in file should be free to be deleted

Upvote 0
Thanks for this advice - unfortunately it did not work. When I go to the add-in menu, the mod that I added in does not appear there so cannot be unticked. The file is actually very strange as it appears in the folder XLSTART as a file i.e. the file type is "Mcrosoft Excel 97-2003 worksheet". ANy other advice or suggestions?

Upvote 0
I take it that renaming also doesn't work.

Have you looked in Control Panel / Add-Remove programs? to see if you can un-install?

The other thing you can do is open RegEdit: after exiting all office programs from the Start/Run type in regedit.

This will open the windows registry. Don't make any changes here that you don't understand!

Anyway press F3 to search and then enter the filename (no extension). It may show up a few times in the registry, once or not at all.
If it appears, then see where and if it looks like a addin for Excel , export that particular key (so you can repair it if things go wrong) then delete the key.

see also: Addin Installation

Now try to delete the file, or move it to another folder.

Upvote 0
You should be able to remove the file from XLSTART as long as Excel is not running.

As a side note, that is not the way to install an addin. You should add it to your addins folder and then install it via the addins dialog.

Upvote 0
I checked the website for the addin and it mentions to add it to the XLSTART folder.

Upvote 0
It may well do but that is still not the correct way to install an addin. :)

Upvote 0
Indeed! I have leart my lesson, it is not the way to instll and add-in. Could not delete the file, rename the file or move the file. It kept saying that I could not do any of those things because excel was running, even though it was not. Anyway, finally gave up and reinstalled the programme. The problem seems to be resolved - thank goodness.

So my next question is how do I get a date picker for excel 2010? Is there an add-in that you can recommend (along with instructions on how to add it)
Thanks for help :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachary578

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back