comparing two columns

22strider

Hello Friends

I have two tables of part numbers with two columns each (Part number and revision level). I am trying to find part numbers that have revision level conflict between two tables (join on part number).

There are some part numbers (in both tables) that have revision level NULL. I can find part numbers where revision is not same in both the tables, I can also find part numbers where revision in one table is NULL and IS NOT NULL in other.

Now, there are some part numbers for which revision level is NULL in both the columns; for some reason these part numbers keep showing in the result query. If both are NULL then for my requirement these are not at conflict. I've tried :

WHERE ((table1.revision <> table2.revision) OR (table1.revision IS NULL AND table2.revision IS NOT NULL) OR (table1.revision IS NOT NULL AND table2.revision IS NULL)) AND NOT (table1.revision IS NULL AND table2.revision IS NULL)

any ideas? It may be very simple in the end but I havn't been able to make it work.

Again the idea is to stop records with revision levels NULL in both the tables from appearing in the query results.

Thanks for your time
Rajesh

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Consider 2 tables Part1 and Part2
Part1
PartNo Number
RevisionLevel Number

Part2
PartNo Number
RevisionLevel Number

Here is code that will show matching PartNo is these tables and will exclude those records where RevisionLevel IS Null in both tables

Note in the SQL I explicitly output the value IS NULL if a revisionLevel is Null

Code:
SELECT Part2.PartNo
, IIf(IsNull([Part2].[RevisionLevel]),"IS NULL",[Part2].[RevisionLevel]) AS Expr1
, Part1.PartNo
, IIf(IsNull(Part1.RevisionLevel),"IS NULL",Part1.revisionLevel) AS Expr2
FROM Part2 INNER JOIN Part1 ON Part2.PartNo = Part1.PartNo
WHERE  
Not ( isNull(Part1.revisionLevel) and isNull (part2.revisionLevel))

You may be able to adapt this as required.

You may also want to read a little on "De Morgan".

Good luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back