Comedy code

Domski

Is it just me or does anyone else think that those who write jokes in the form of 'code' are just heading a little bit too far up the geek scale?

I'm probably leaving myself wide open to an onslaught of uber geek abuse but come on guys, you're not doing yourselves any favours as far as portrayal to the wider world.

Dom

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Yup, I second that...but only cos I'm jealous that I can't code! :wink:

There very nature of a code-joke is an "in-joke". It's meant to target a specific demographic. That fact that you find them "geeky" probably only means one of two things. Either you don't code and therefore don't get it. Or you DO code and are for some reason embarrased by being in that category. If the problem is the former, then I'm sorry you feel left out. If it's the later then maybe you should just embrace your identity.

OR Maybe I just am thinking way too deeply about a passing comment :-D

...but come on guys, you're not doing yourselves any favours as far as portrayal to the wider world.

Dom

Since I'm one of the "geeks" that's been known to do this; I reckon I get to repond... It's not that we , the geekish, don't give a rip about "our portrayal to the wider world". But our priorities are being knowledgable, capable, helpful, polite & courteous. And we've been known to tolerate those that are short-suited on tact if they're quite long-suited on technical know-how. But if you think we give hoot as to whether we're perceived as "geeky". Don't give a tinker's ****, my friend. Maybe back in junior high or high school a geek might try to "conform" to non-geek's codes of humor and conversation. But here in this forum, geeks are welcome to be as unapologetically nerdy as they wish. I mean I wish I had the creativity to have come up with Erik's nose bleed code. That was funny! And I'm tickled that he shared it.

So, if the "wider world" thinks humor cast in VBA-speak ain't funny... ":nya:" says I. But then again, I find "geekiness" a characteristic to be celebrated, not surpressed.

Oh, and I must confess, trying to reconcile a comment about "portrayal to the wider world" with the avatar you're flying does make my head hurt... :-P

Just to inflict another piece of code on the planet.

Code:
Sub JustAThought()
    Dim ws As Excel.Worksheet
    Dim TheBox As Excel.Shape
    Set ws = Excel.Workbooks.Add.Sheets(1)
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 34.5, 18#, _
        186.75, 107.25).Select
    Set TheBox = ws.Shapes(1)
    Selection.Characters.Text = "This is the box"
    TheBox.ThreeD.SetThreeDFormat msoThreeD4
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape(msoShapeRectangle, 145.5, 42#, 58.5, 18#).Select
    With Selection
        .Text = "This is you."
        .Characters(Start:=1, Length:=12).Font.FontStyle = "bold"
    End With
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextEffect(msoTextEffect14, "Domski", "Impact", 12#, _
    msoFalse, msoFalse, 145.5, 65#).Select
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddTextEffect msoTextEffect13, "Fun", "Juice ITC", 36#, _
        msoTrue, msoFalse, 339#, 170.25
    MsgBox "Note the spatial relation.", vbInformation, "..."
End Sub

Hi,

My experience in life is that "playing" with the stuff is the best way to learn something.
Creating games & joke-code was my first experience with programming.

Erik
musician, pianist*, composer, teacher and not at all a programmer

* next recital here at my home 10th february: all invited !

Sense of humour springs to mind.

I dont get it.

If a coder tells a joke = they are geeky ?

So the opposite must apply:

If a coder writes code for a request of help on the forum = not geeky ?

I might have thought that prejudice dictates that you have it round the wrong way :P

~Mark

Code:
Do
   If Not Intersect(Me, [GregTruby].Knowledge) Is Nothing Then
       With Me
            .Read:.Assimilate:.Learn
       End With
   Else
         Exit Do
   End If
Loop
Me.Ascend xlToGodHood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back