Combining text fields for duplicate records

lwilt

Board Regular

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I figured that's what I would have to do...I assume the only way doing it in excel would be writing a macro correct?

Upvote 0
You can probably also do a CSE (array) formula in the worksheet, but I'd pick VBA.
Are you looking for an unduplicated email list, such that for example, an email includes the following?
abc@yahoo.com: subject = customer 123, 126; body = apples, trees, ice cream
123@gmail.com: subject = customer 858, 767; body = apples, trees, sports

Upvote 0
Caveat: you may wish to send an email to each customer number, even if it means some people get 2 emails. You'll want to trace correspondence to customer #s, so I think that part may be unavoidable. However, combining apples, trees, etc. is pretty easy.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to just end up with:

EMAIL Apples Trees Sports Ice Cream
abc@yahoo.com Y Y Y
123@gmail.com Y Y Y

The customer numbers ultimatly won't matter because I'm in the process of cleaning the db to fix that but just need a band aid solution to this problem for right now

Upvote 0
it messed up the spaces for the Y's but I think you follow what I'm trying to get to

Upvote 0
Oh and I forget to mention one other thing...it is actually 17 different "questions" I would like to combine at each email so I'm just trying to figure out how to get it started

Upvote 0
if I had a table that looks like:
Looks to me like your proposed table follows the spreadsheet mentality, which is not how tables should be laid out. If you had a table of 'categories' with apples, trees, sports, ice cream, etc. as values, it would be more normalized. What you are doing is putting row values into columns, which is not the way it should be (also creates a lot of holes). If you normalized it more, you should be able to create a crosstab query, but I don't think you can with what you have.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back