Combining 2 Fields

one3nine0

Board Regular
I have a table that has a list of unique text and a second table with list of 3 categories.

I want to be able to build a query that will combine them into 1 table like below.

Text 1Name
Text 2Name
Text 3Name
Text 1Size
Text 2Size
Text 3Size
Text 1Distribution
Text 2Distribution
Text 3Distribution

<tbody>
</tbody>

How would be the best way to do that?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
What you want to do is very bad form (create a un-normalized table) because the values in the second column have litttle or no relationship to each other. However, if you insist, try making a select query between using the two tables (text table on left and category on the right) and create a right join on category to text. If you get what you want, make that query an append or make table query to put the data in one table. If not, try a left join. If not, you will probably need a union query. The reason for my uncertainty is that you don't give much information regarding the data types or field names.

Again, I think anyone who knows about database normal form would advise against what you're doing.

Upvote 0
The reason I need it in this format, is basically because I am using "bad form" in Powerpivot, to unpivot these values to create separate charts in 1 chart, via slicers created by the categories. It's not how I'd prefer to work but what the customer wants, is what the customer gets (most of the time)

Basically, the table with the unique text is a record of sales with a unique identifier (the unique text) in text format. This table gets updated every month. The category table is just a list of 3 categories that stays constant, that needs to be matched up with each unique identifier.

I can do this in excel, but Access can handle large amounts of data better and I can automate the process.

I'll try what you suggest and hopefully that will solve my problem.

Upvote 0
Ok, in access didnt need to make any joins. Just a select into a table query worked. I didnt think it would.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samue Thon Ajaladin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back