Colo's HTML link diff on FAQ and Global Ann - HELP - damage?

jpricesr

In the "FAQ" link above I accessed the hyper link to get the HTML maker to post sample of sheet to Forum... this link took me to

http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/HtmlMaker.htm

Which was in China or Japan, I guess... It asked if I wanted to download the Language characters I declined and when I accepted the INSTALL (thinking I would get what I needed to make the HTML in EXCEL) It began to write a bunch of files to my C:\Windows .... folders.. What did it put in my WINDOWS Directory

Since this did not get the Add In --- I went to another link included in – Mr Excel …. Excel Questions …. Global announcements- How to show your sheet on the board (HTML Maker FAQ). -- That link took me to Colo’s site -- http://www.puremis.net/excel/downloads.shtml

It downloaded an XLA and did just what instruction said and worked great – NEVER ACCESSED my C:\WINDOWS folders

I am afraid this Asian site put something on my system I don’t want??? PLEASE HELP This is a link on Mr Excel FAQ so I have to think this Asian site is known.. or has someone rerouted this link and what do I need to do to fix whatever it did.

Sounds like it may have been installing the laugage character files (that link is based in Japan, by the way), since the first link leads to nothing but a 404 error. I do not get any popups there, but I already have the characters installed on this computer.

The first link you posted was the original address for Colo's site. It has since changed to the http://www.puremis.net/excel/... address.

No offense, but if you click an "install" button that pops up from a site without checking what it is first, whatever happens is your own fault.

However, if you're worried that something shady may have been installed I would suggest running a check with Spybot and/or AdAware.

(And I'm not sure if I can get in to do it myself, but I will see about getting the links changed in the FAQ found via the text links.)

Re: Colo's HTML link diff on FAQ and Global Ann - HELP - dam

I guess I trusted it since it was a link from Mr Excels web site FAQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back