Color Cell interiors in one sheet row range based on cells manually colored on another sheet.

DaveOMatic

Board Regular
Hello Board members....after reading numerous posts...which are very helpful...struggling with trying to do the following.
In sheet 1, range A:A I would color yellow selected cells of 1472 rows...using XLendUp..as the row count can vary. When I color those selected cells, that have a numeric value, I would to find match cell.values, on sheet-2, range A:A...again using VBA of XLendup and color those cell interiors yellow as well, as there are 19727 rows on sheet-2. I have tried every variation of conditional formatting and it only will match / color the first value colored in say Sheet-1, A1 and so on. Thank You in Advance. Dave W.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
First color the cells in Sheet1 and then run this macro.
VBA Code:
Sub ColorCells()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim srcWS As Worksheet, desWS As Worksheet, v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant, dic As Object, i As Long
    Set srcWS = Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set desWS = Sheets("Sheet2")
    v1 = srcWS.Range("A2", srcWS.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value
    v2 = desWS.Range("A2", desWS.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 8).Value
    Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    For i = LBound(v2) To UBound(v2)
        If Not dic.exists(v2(i, 1)) Then
            dic.Add v2(i, 1), i + 1
        End If
    Next i
    For i = LBound(v1) To UBound(v1)
        If dic.exists(v1(i, 1)) Then
            desWS.Cells(dic(v1(i, 1)), 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
            srcWS.Cells(i + 1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
        End If
    Next i
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
First color the cells in Sheet1 and then run this macro.
VBA Code:
Sub ColorCells()
    Dim srcWS As Worksheet, desWS As Worksheet, v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant, dic As Object, i As Long
    v2 = desWS.Range("A2", desWS.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 8).Value
            dic.Add v2(i, 1), i + 1
        End If
    Next i
        If dic.exists(v1(i, 1)) Then
            desWS.Cells(dic(v1(i, 1)), 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
            srcWS.Cells(i + 1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
        End If
    Next i
End Sub
Thanks considerable Mumps...will give this a run. I was venturing towards a two-dimensional array but setting the dims always gets me. Will let you know success. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello and good day Mumps, thanks very much for the macro to find all values on another sheet when setting cell interior color to equal values in another sheet. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Have been studying your script and it does color the cell interior on the destination sheet but it does not color all equal values...only the first one. Trying to mod your script to get it to work. Example...I color the cell interior at A2 in one sheet for numerical value 123...I need it please to find ALL cell occurrences in the destination sheet of say 123 and color those yellow...so far it only colors the first find. Thanks Kindly DaveOMatic.

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub ColorCells()
            dic.Add v1(i, 1), i + 1
        End If
    Next i
        If dic.exists(v2(i, 1)) Then
            desWS.Cells(i + 1, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
            srcWS.Cells(dic(v2(i, 1)), 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Good morning Mumps....ran the revised script and it's coloring yellow a great number of cells in the SrcWS range. I selected ONLY one cell in range A:A to color yellow in the source sheet and after running it colored yellow ONLY all of the first CELL A2 in the destination sheet.

Why do we resize here please... trying to understand the syntax Of : v2 = desWS.Range("A2", desWS.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Resize(, 8).Value
Thanks considerable for your efforts.

DaveOMatic

Upvote 0
I tested the macro on some dummy data and it worked properly. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach screenshots (not a pictures) of your two sheets. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Good morning Mumps....hopefully I've posted my two "sample sheets" using the requested XL2BB mini-sheet add-in.

I ONLY modified your code with Option Explicit for now.

Looking at sheet1 the "source sheet".....I've colored in A:A numerical values 1, 4 and 5.

I'm trying to get it to highlight in yellow again on sheet2 all corresponding occurrences and ONLY those.

If I go back and select another value in sheet1 A:A say 10...run the macro again...it should pick up ALL occurrences of 10 in sheet2, highlighting them yellow.

Thanks for all your help.

Color Test.xlsx
C
Sheet1

Color Test.xlsx
D
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, that didn't work. Make sure you select the sheet range before creating the mini-sheet with the add-in.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, that didn't work. Make sure you select the sheet range before creating the mini-sheet with the add-in.
Thank Mumps...the instructions DID say that...new at the visual posting...will try again here shortly. Appreciate greatly the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back