Collaboration request: Need a second pair of eyes

Fishboy

Hi all,

I am looking for someone with some spare time ("What's that?" I hear you ask) to have a detailed look over a personal project I have been working on. I have created an Excel 2010 workbook designed to monitor market prices of items in an online game I play, as well as keep records of my sales and purchases. The core data this all works from is obtained from a number of CSV files which I import into my workbook via various macros. The rest of the spreadsheet basically references the background data with a number of custom lookups to provide the specific information I am looking for. So far so good.

The problem I am having now is the workbook is becoming increasingly sluggish and cumbersome, and I cannot figure out if it is a specific thing that is causing it, or if it is the fact that the sales and purchase logs are exponentially expanding, or maybe a possible cumulative effect of all the macros, named ranges and lookups going on.

The bigger import macros now take multiple minutes to run instead of seconds, the screen hangs for a while and says not responding, but eventually everything comes back to life.

Due to minor changes creating tidal waves of updates across the workbook I have had to switch mainly to manual calculation on most sheets, or at least code individual sheets so wherever possible they only calculate when they are active.

What I am really looking for is a willing volunteer to have a look at my workbook and macros to see if they can spot anything glaringly obvious that I have done wrong in my haste or eagerness to add more functionality.

If any experts are interested in a bit of a challenge or are looking for a little side project to look at, please respond here and I will PM you a link to the workbook and some example CSV files used for importing.

As always, thanks for your time and I appreciate any help that may be offered.

Cheers,

Fishboy

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back