Collaborating in Excel with Different Sort or Filters Sheet View - 2324

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Mar 5, 2020.
You are collaborating in a workbook and a co-worker filters or sorts their data and it changes your view as well. Microsoft has introduced Sheet View to Excel Online. This allows a person using Excel online to Filter to just their data without screwing up your view of the data.
To read more: Sheet Views in Excel
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast Episode 2324. Different Filters While Collaborating.
Hey, welcome back to MrExcel Netcast. I'm Bill Jelen. Well this is a great new feature that is debuting in Excel.
Excel online. And the classic problem here is we have a spreadsheet that has multiple people that need to be working on it. So here we have Andy and Betty and of course what happens is Andy in his sheet just wants to see his records, so he chooses Andy. And I actually ran into this problem 7 or eight years ago.
We set up a shared worksheet for everyone here at MrExcel and it was great until someone else went and filtered to just their records because then the other person and I'll switch over to Excel online here. See the other person now is looking at me and that person says no, no, that's not what I want to do I want to just look at Betty.
Right, so now you filter to Betty and when I come back to Andy's version. It's filtered as well and he's ready to strangle Betty.
And in our case, we said, well, this is just never going to work. Forget it and we stopped collaborating.
Alright, but what we have now is a brand new thing here called a New Sheet view. So if I come in here I go to sheet view. I'm going to create a new sheet view. And you see the headers change the black to show that this is something that only I can see up here. It says it's a temporary view an I can now filter.
To Andy. And take Betty out.
Alright, now I'm just seeing Andy. My total visible down here.
The subtotal totals up to 24,275 And when I switch back, this is showing only Betty with a total of 22,182. I specifically use that subtotal function down there because that was the reason they told me that you couldn't have allow everyone else to filter because the answers would be different.
All right, so you see, we start out here in something called temporary view and I can rename that Podcast 2324 view.
And that's essentially now I've kept that view and what's cool here this is even this is even better. Let's take this data and sort it high to low by column D. So Data.
A to Z like that. Alright, so now I've changed the sort order I have.
Change the filter. The other person still has the original sort order. Still has their filter. This is pretty cool. Now if I want to go back and see what the other person is looking at that I would choose the default view and I can see what the other person is like. If you're on the phone, hey go look at the spreadsheet. "I'm not seeing that" - "Oh, go to the default view, like that and there's a little UI here under options with a Sheet View Options I can duplicate a view.
I can rename a view. I can delete a view or I can switch to a particular view. Alright, so this is really cool. It's in Excel online up. I hope it comes to the Win32 client where 99.9% of the people actually get their work done. But you know, it's a great idea. I applaud the fact they added this and hopefully it will come to the real version of Excel soon.
Alright, well, hey, if you like these tips like here about what's brand new in Excel, please SUBSCRIBE and ring that Bell. Feel free to post any questions or comments in the comments below. Thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziMacca

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back