Circular Reference in Report Footer

iamdanno

Hello All,

I have a report which shows how a construction estimate is broken down into 16 different divisions of work. It's data source is a select query with calculated fields to total the cost of individual items, all of which have a quantity, labor unit cost, and material unit cost. The report header shows the division field and the sum of it's item totals (which it totals from the detail section). So I get a list of the divisions with their corresponding totals. The report footer gives me a TOTAL of all the divisions. :biggrin: Perfect. What I want to do is add a contingency, overhead, and profit to the TOTAL and then calculate a GRAND TOTAL for the entire estimate. The problem is that I need to calculate the contingency, overhead, and profit as a percent of the GRAND TOTAL not the TOTAL. Whenever I try to do this I create a circular reference and get #ERR as my text box value. I know Excel can do this, but is it possible in Access 2000?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi, what are the percentage figures you are trying to use for the contingency, overhead and profit?

[Edit - I have since worked out how to do this]

You can work out the percentages based on the total cost (but using a base other 100% such that the effect is as if you calculated it based on the grand total) as follows :

Assuming profit = 10% of grand total, contingency = 10% of grand total and overhead = say 20% of grand total, then use the following :

Profit = [Total Cost]*(0.1/(1-0.4))
Contingency = [Total Cost]*(0.1/(1-0.4))
Overhead = [Total Cost]*(0.2/(1-0.4))
Grand Total = [Total Cost] + [Profit] + [Contingency] + [Overhead]

You will need to adjust the calculations for your percentages and where I have used "1-0.4", you need to replace it with 1 - x, where x is the sum of the 3 percentages.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
That's great! It never occurred to me that plain old algebra would solve that. I appreciate your help. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samwalrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back