Checking multiple cells for text string using FORMULATEXT

ormy28

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi
I am working on a dashboard which pulls data from external excel files across multiple different columns. For the sake of this example, the columns which contain this external data are C, D and E in row 7.

I want to add a column at the end of the dashboard which checks the formulas in columns C, D and E to ensure that all columns are pulling data from the same external file. Columns C, D and E are pulling the data from the external files using a VLOOKUP, therefore I believe I will need to use the FORMULATEXT function. At the moment, I have done this using a combination of IF, AND, FORMULATEXT and SEARCH functions. For example.

=IF(AND(SEARCH(A7,FORMULATEXT(C7))>0,SEARCH(A7,FORMULATEXT(D7))>0,SEARCH(A7,FORMULATEXT(E7))>0,"CORRECT","INCORRECT")

The filename is stored in cell A7.

Whilst this will highlight instances where the incorrect file is included in any of the three columns, it isn't ideal. This is due to the fact that this dashboard is likely to grow massively over the next few months, potentially to 40+ columns! This will result in a very long formula.

Is there a more efficient way I can check the same file is used in multiple columns?

I am using Excel 2013.

Thanks

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back