Check Boxes selections on form

dwcrockford

I need some assistance with check boxes on a form, and the ability for the form to "add" check boxes automatically based on a table.

Scenario: I am creating a DB for a community choir, and this DB will list the repertoire in one part, and the concerts/performances in another part - these two table (already created) are related in that the Concert side will list the songs in that performance, and the song side will list the concerts that song was performed in. A song can be performed in more than one performance. The basics of the associated forms work fine at the moment. Currently, I have a list box on the "Songs" form which drops down to select which concerts the song was performed in (Multiples allowed).

On this same form, I also have a drop down list to select the key signature of the song (initial key signature at the moment - no multiple selection).

Desire: I would like the Song form to display a grouping of the concert titles (with date) in the manner of check boxes on the form rather than the drop down listbox. As the concert # will grow with time, I would "like" this portion of the form to automatically update as concerts are added to the "Concert List" table, so this "area" of the Song Form would expand with time - without having to make design changes manually on the song form.

Eventually, I would like to add similar options in terms of the key signature selection - however this will not expand, but will be a graphical representation (and associated text) for the various 13 key signatures available. As some songs have multiple key signatures, it would be nice if the "form" displayed the keys used in the order in which they were used. This could possibly be set up on the "music" form to call up another form (via button) for "key order entry", and once entered, will return to the original form and display a representation of the keys in the song - I suppose this may need to be set up as a subreport/form type of return on the Music form(???).

Question: Is this feasible - can a group of check boxes be set to automatically update based on info from another table automatically? Would this require the use of a subform of sorts based on the concerts table?

Guidance and suggestions are appreciated.

Daryl

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Terminology Correction.

In the above post, I erroneously called the drop-down list as a "list box" where in reality they are "combo boxes".

D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back